Existing Member?

Adventurous Escapades

January news...

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 24 January 2011 | Views [215]

I am sitting in my new furnished lounge complete with Sky TV and a fireplace as I type out me latest newsletter.  Yes, a few things have changed since I last wrote.  I feel the Holy Spirit has a sense of humour.  I’m working at HTB (Holy Trinity Brompton) and I live in a Church of England vicarage, and none of these are the church I go to…

Three weeks ago I visited a really great church in Kingston, about 10 minutes by bus from where I live.  It was quite a surprise to hear the accent of everyone I met sound distinctly South African.  I’m told there are more and more British coming in since they moved to the Kingston area.  However, being able to count the total number of people I know in London on one hand, it is a welcoming haven to this foreigner.  The church is warm, relationally strong and hungry for more of God’s kingdom to be released.  What more could I ask for?

Two weeks ago I started working at HTB.  I may not know too many people here, but its handy knowing the head of HR at HTB (Thanks Sean!!).  Finding an IT job has proven to be a tad challenging.  London seems to be a different animal.  It’s a very competitive environment with the recruiters seeking specific experience in certain skills.  Unfortunately my 14 years of experience does not seem to suffice.   Alas, I have managed to get a toe in the London waters of employment.  I am currently temping as a Technology Administrator until the end of March with the potential to continue if need be.

That leads me up to today.  Having a little bit of income has enabled me to move into a room of my own.  Sean and Kirby have been an unbelievable source of help and support during my season of unpredictability.   They’ve opened up their home to me since November and I am truly grateful for their generosity.  A week ago I found a great sized flatshare for a relatively good price.  On arrival to view the place, it became clear that the flat is on the top floor of an 8 bedroom vicarage for St Andrews in Ham.  Not quite what I was expecting. It’s beautiful and peaceful bordering on the enormous Richmond park and is 16 minutes walk my good friends and my beautiful river walk.  To take a tour of my new place, have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8jiODWeYo

So in three weeks, I’ve found a church, started working and moved house.  Not bad going!  Keep it coming Lord!  You know you’ve moved a lot when you can start packing at 12:30pm and you’re moved in by 3:30pm!  Yep, that’s 3 countries and 8 houses in one year.  The dance with Jesus is certainly an adventure.  So what does He have in store for me in this Nation?

To those who have given me their support, I cannot thank you enough.  I truly could not do any of this without you.

Ceri

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.