Existing Member?

celeste

5 things you must do in Dubai

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Tuesday, 16 August 2011 | Views [4941]

Dubai: UAE

  1. It's not in the middle of the year (super unbearable hot Jun to Sep),
  2. it's not Ramadan (muslim holidays where you are not allowed to eat or drink outside and strict limitations with restaurants and music apply) and
  3. your on your way to Europe and flying maybe via Dubai on Emirates Airines and you have some time to kill?

Well your halfway there: Why not stop over in Dubai and discover another culture during your holidays? 

This place ticks all the 5 must do boxes:

  1. The weather
  2. The social scene
  3. Activities
  4. Culture
  5. Photography

1) The weather:

As mentioned above, the humidity during mid-year is not happy but if you are so lucky to be in Dubai during the winter time, it's an amazing beach and lovely ocean water place!

Otherwise, I see alot of tourists wants to know what to do during the hot summer time. There is still the malls that can provide entertainment: The Mall of Emirates has the indoor skiing, yes, its surreal a ski slope in the hottest city!

Shopping can also be done in the gold and diamond souks and Karama areas for your cheaper options and feeling of indian community.

Atlantis' dolphin swims are also a big hit!

2) The social scene:

My favourite entertainment areas, for drinks, food and atmosphere even after 7 years of experiencing and discovering new hangouts every other weekend include the following - 

Sho Cho's

Barasti 

Zuma

360 Degrees

Nasimi Beach Atlantis 

You cannot go wrong with these places. Alcohol is extremely expensive in Dubai. You cannot just pop into your local bottle store and buy a nice bottle of wine or some beer. For this you need a license from the government. Best to bring a bottle or two which is allowed from your own country. There are some happy hours for ladies during ladies nights every night somewhere in the city.  Just check your Time Out magazine.

The crowd here in Dubai is a different one. A weird mixture but this needs a story on its own. 

3) Activities:

I always sent my visitors first on the Hop on Hop off bus tours: www.bigbustours.com 

Here you will view how this biggest construction site of the world turned into a place that can offer everything you need.

This will give you a good idea of the layout and areas of the city and a feel for them and you can even kill a few must do things from your list on this day during the bus stops. Here you will see that the city runs from the old part *Deira to, all along Sheik Zayed road, passing the Burj Dubai *the tallest building in the city, to the new and happening Marina area. Now with the new metro also running along this way, after the hop on bus experience and youve got an idea what to do and where to go, the transport system is made easy. 

4) Culture:

Dubai is an Arab city but also very cosmopolitan.

For sure you need to go on the only in the world: The Desert Safari!! You are being picked up in a 4x4 and ready for the dune bashing. Afterwards you will go to a arabic camp and enjoy real arabic food, view arabic traditional dancing and henna hand decorations.

www.knighttours.co.ae

5) Photography:

Everybody nowadays has a camera and is a photographer. Dubai is great for buying electronics and affordable cameras.  If you want to see all the great spots and want to receive a bit of training with your new equipment, call me!! for you Camera Holiday www.celestevr.com/blog

xoxo

The ‘Blog your Backyard’ Project

Share your local expertise and join the Blog your Backyard project! Become an ambassador for your country (home or adopted) by sharing your experiences and tips with other travelers. Submit your entries starting August 8th on WorldNomads.com for a chance to win one of 20 awesome excursions with Urban Adventures. Plus, if you want to share more of your local expertise or get answers to all of your travel questions, download the FREE ‘Ask A Nomad’ iPad app.

Tags: #blogyourbackyard

About celeste


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.