Existing Member?

India

Tropical Fruit

INDIA | Tuesday, 17 January 2012 | Views [1798]

Coconut water

Coconut water

One of my favourite things about India is the tropical fruits. In Ahmedabad I was addicted to fresh coconut juice, which is found in abundance on carts like the one above. In Hyderabad its watermelon juice. You can still see part of the branch on this one. I wonder if this is why they taste so good!


The black fruit on the left is called a Singhoda. You peel the dry, crusty black peel off and eat the white fruit inside. The texture is really unusual, almost waxy with a smoky after taste. Might stick to the coconut water.


The brown fruit above is a Chickoo. I know, I love that word! Shame I didn’t like the taste of the fruit as much. You peel the outer later and slice the inside like an apple. Inside its soft, almost chocolatey and a bit grainy in texture. Sounds delicious I hear you say, but alas it just doesn’t titillate my taste buds.


This pert round green fruit is called an Amda. You can’t eat it raw as its quite bitter. The Gujaratis pickle it in brine, for a few weeks, then have a bit every morning as its high in Vitamin C. Its eaten in the winter season, from November to February, what in Gujarati is known as Ciado.

About cb


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.