Existing Member?

Jina Langu ni Catherine Go to the people; live with them, learn from them, love them, start with what they know build with what they have. But of the best leaders, when the job is done, the task accomplished the people will say: "We have done it ourselves." Lao Tzu

Zanzibar

USA | Monday, 27 September 2010 | Views [663]

Hi everyone, hope all is well.  Sorry I haven’t written in a while, it’s been a busy few weeks!  Was in the village of Nungwi in Zanzibar for two weeks until September 12th and spent one last night in Stone Town before flying out.  Bought my return ticket to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania from an agent in Stone Town and got a nice “resident’s rate” since I am currently a Tanzanian resident for another month or so per my volunteer visa.  Only $35 USD, nice!  After my first week of yoga at Flame Tree Cottages I moved down the beach a bit to Casa Umoja, a guest house in a nice garden about 100 meters off the beach.  Clean and cheap!  The second week in Zanzibar was just as great as the first for the most part.  Three other women joined in yoga, 2 were from Denmark and one from Sweden.  My friend Carolina from Sweden is actually living in Afghanistan and working for an NGO doing anti corruption work, she’s one of the smartest people I’ve met and had so much fun hanging out with her that week.  They were all staying at Flame Tree so I continued to spend a decent amount of time there and miss chatting with Elizabeth and Seth, the owners, who were so nice to me!  Even when I wasn’t staying at their hotel because the second week would have been way out of my budget, they let me use their nice private beach area and on my last day in Zanzibar they invited Marisa (my yoga teacher) and I to lunch at their house and said I felt like part of the family after being around everyday for two weeks.  Elizabeth also graciously did all of my laundry in her washing machine which was so nice of her and saved me a few bucks. 

The last few days of my time in Zanzibar were a bit interesting...that Thursday, Carolina, Catherine (one of Marisa’s friends visiting from South Africa) and I walked up the beach after our morning yoga session to take pictures and do some shopping.  Carolina and I stopped for lunch and had been sitting on the beach for a while when we started seeing smoke, seemed pretty close so we kept watching thinking the fire was at one of the larger hotels close to where we were eating.  We walked down from the restaurant to the beach and it was further off.  Kept walking towards our hotels and started to see people unloading their homes, furniture all over the beach, hotel staff running bags out to the beach, tables and chairs, etc.  Everyone was frantic yelling and running around.  The smoke was getting thicker and blacker and we walked closer and saw burned down homes, a dive center gone and one of our favorite fish restaurants, Union (no menu, just the days catch sitting on ice blocks on the beach, you’d pick your choice and they would cut off a piece and grill for you, freshest fish I’ve ever had, yum!) was burned down.  We were super nervous at this point, there was one firetruck on the beach however the firemen couldn’t get water to pump through the hose from the ocean and everyone was crowded around the truck screaming and yelling and not letting the firemen do their jobs.  Unfortunately there were also looters running around stealing and running off with peoples possessions they were trying to save from being burned.  We ran to my guest house which was super close and I quickly packed a few essentials in a little bag, leaving all of my clothes and everything I’ve been carrying around the past few months and went back to Flame Tree with Carolina.  Walked into the Flame Tree grounds and everyone came running up to me saying they were so worried.  Lisa and Tina (Danish women from yoga) had run to Casa Umoja when they saw the smoke and were banging on my door trying to make sure I wasn’t napping in my room.  Elizabeth ran over to try to get into my room to pack my bag and get my stuff out but they wouldn’t let her in.  Even some of the staff at Flame Tree came over trying to find me.  I was honestly shocked so many people had thought of me and were worried, people I’d known about a week and a half maximum.  Spent the rest of the day at Flame Tree and went back to Casa at night.  Fortunately there was no damage however due to the fires we had no power for my last days there because they didn’t have a generator, which lead to extra hot nights with no fan and lots of stumbling around in the dark with my flashlight.  Flashlights are seriously in the top 3 items I’m so glad I brought.  Power goes out at least every other day at Mama Z’s in Arusha, power was out in Zanzibar and the 1st night I was in Istanbul the place I stayed at ended up having no power (more on Istanbul later).  Back to the fire, it’s really hard here when fires start because most of the houses and smaller guest houses/ hotels have roofs made of dried straw so fire spreads so fast.  No one has fire alarms and fire trucks/ men are few and far between.  The bigger hotels have their own hoses and water supplies but that’s about it.

The other cause of much excitement the day after the fire was that at 12 AM on Friday, Ramadan was over.  Got about 1 hour of sleep that night due to being anxious about the fire and because the partying started right away (Zanzibar is at least 90% Muslim).  It’s like Christmas times 10 because after 30 days of fasting from sun up to sun down they are allowed to eat.  On Friday, two members of Flame Tree staff took Carolina and I around their village, it was a great tour, we got to meet their families and see their homes, very similar to homes in Arusha, few rooms, concrete floors, mud/ brick walls, etc.  Everyone was eating all day long, ate a few bowls of rice I didn’t really want to eat, etc. but it was really great to see and be invited to experience the “non-tourist” Zanzibar.  

On the 13th I flew from Stone Town, Zanzibar to Dar Es Salaam, had a 7 hour layover in DAR which was hot, sweaty and boring.  Got on a 7:45 PM flight from DAR to Istanbul stopping in Entebbe (Uganda) for an hour and arrived in Istanbul at 5:30 AM.  Spent a wonderful 25 hours in the airport at Istanbul drinking $5 cups of Starbucks coffee, reading US Weekly and other gossip magazines until the shop owners started giving me dirty looks, looking homeless while napping on metal benches clutching my purse and using my backpack for a pillow, reading, listening to my ipod and walking about 100 laps around the airport at various times during the day/ night when I would start to feel my legs go numb from sitting too long.  There was nothing cheap about that airport and I think I spent about $50 eating junk and drinking Starbucks just to entertain myself.  Finally got on my next flight from Istanbul to Rome, spent 4 hours in the airport in Rome drinking coffee and freshened up spritzing myself with perfume in the duty free shop and then flew to Malta to meet up with one of my best friends Jessica and her husband Bryan for 5 nights!  Spent 5 nights with them in Malta and then 4 nights by myself in Istanbul which was amazing.  Loved it and wish I could have stayed longer but Europe’s a bit more expensive than Africa and it was time to go. 

Will write more about Malta/ Istanbul soon and I am currently back in Arusha for another month of volunteering at Glorious Orphanage.  Kind of showed up here without warning...I didn’t have any plans after Istanbul...decided on the plane ride back from Istanbul to DAR that I wanted to go to Zanzibar for a week before Arusha, unfortunately the ATM wouldn’t accept my “international” debit card and I only had enough cash in my pocket for a one way plane ticket back to Arusha so that’s where I’m at.   Happy I am here back at Mama Z’s, will just have to pay a few bucks and hit up the pools at the hotels on the nice side of town on the weekend and pretend I’m in Zanzibar.   :) 

Hope everyone is well!  Miss you!  Will post on Malta/ Istanbul sooner than later!  Cath

About catherinehickey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.