Existing Member?

Jina Langu ni Catherine Go to the people; live with them, learn from them, love them, start with what they know build with what they have. But of the best leaders, when the job is done, the task accomplished the people will say: "We have done it ourselves." Lao Tzu

September 4, 2010

USA | Saturday, 4 September 2010 | Views [572] | Comments [6]

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Hi everyone!  Hope all is well, I’m currently in Zanzibar where I’ve been for just over about 12 days now, I think...all my days are starting to blend together it seems.  First of all, congratulations and best wishes to my cousin Patrick and his fiancée Danielle who are getting married this weekend.  Wish I could be there and can’t wait to see pictures and celebrate when I get back! 

 

After saying goodbye to all the great people I met and lived with during the two months at Mama Zubeyda’s in Arusha, the past few weeks have been a lot of fun!  I really miss all of the kids and will probably be heading back after “vacation” is over mid September.  I’m meeting one of my best friends Rebecca and (hopefully- book the ticket!) my sister Laura in South Africa towards the end of October but as of right now I think I’m going to go back for another month to the orphanage I spent my last two weeks in Arusha at after my school went on break for the month of August.  I was planning on doing more traveling but I really miss the kids and want to go back.    

 

My mom, my sister Liz and her husband Steve arrived in Arusha on Sunday August 15th.  I think my mom had a bit of a shock at the state of the super bumpy dirt roads coming in at 9 PM in the dark from the airport but everyone survived the trip!  The roads don’t even phase me anymore.  We met at the Ilboru Safari Lodge in Arusha where I had spent most of the day after taking a nice cab ride from Mama Zubeyda’s around 10 that morning.  Highlights of my Sunday were laying out at a fantastic pool having a few freezing cold beers, the hotel’s free high speed internet and of course…taking my first non- bucket shower in over two months!  Spent about 30 minutes trying to scrub dirt out of my toenails which left zero hot water for my mom the next morning.  Whoops!

 

Seeing my family was so great, I knew their flight was arriving at Kilimanjaro airport around 8:20 PM and around 9:30 PM a few safari trucks started pulling into the hotel parking lot.  Of course I ran out of my room for the first few expecting it to be them, only to have the hotel reception laugh at watching me almost fall on the slippery floor in my extra dirty/ worn out flip flops with no grip left on the bottom.  Finally a Good Earth Tours safari truck pulled up and it was them!  Yeah!  After lots of hugs it was late and we all went to sleep to get ready for Moses, our safari driver, to pick us up at 8:30 the next morning.

 

Monday morning we headed to Tarangire National Park which was fantastic.  I had been there for a few hours with the nursery students but this trip was much nicer as we were riding in a nice safari vehicle with shocks rather than a bumpy school bus crammed with a few puking children.  I don’t think my mom believed me when I told her we would probably see literally hundreds of elephants and zebra and she started taking pictures of every single one of them, which she continued to do for the rest of the trip.  If anyone is in the market for 2,000 pictures of elephants, please let me know.  :)  Actually I’m really happy my mom and Steve were such avid photographers while Liz and I relaxed in the safari truck.  I’m sure they have amazing photos, my little camera isn’t that great with the zoom and Liz and I enjoyed a few nice afternoon naps while they were shooting away.  Apparently eating large meals every few hours and driving around looking at wild animals is hard work and we somehow managed to fall asleep for 20 minutes (or more) each afternoon while driving along!

 

I could write for days and bore everyone about safari so I’ll try to keep this to a minimum.  We spent a day and a half in Tarangire National Park which is well known for its elephant population (hundreds!), a day at Lake Manyara which was very green and lush in comparison to the rest of the parks, about 3 ½ days in the Serengeti and a day and a half in Ngorongoro Crater.  All of the lodges we stayed at were nice, ate too much, talked about how we ate too much, proceeded to do the same the next day, etc.  My favorite place was the Kirurumu tented camp at Lake Manyara.  It was so nice!  The first night we also stayed at a tented camp rather than safari lodge and we’re pretty sure there were lions walking around our tent.  I woke up and heard something walking and breathing heavily and the next morning at breakfast Liz and Steve said they heard it too.  My mom didn’t think it was a lion but I’m still convinced it was!  The lodges were still really nice even though they were in the middle of no where.  Wake up in the morning to little monkey’s staring in through the glass on the balcony, fun! 

 

I think my favorite park was the Serengeti, the land was so beautiful and it seemed endless.  During the trip we saw lots of animals: worthogs (not sure how to spell…uh Pumba in the Lion King type animals?), elephants, giraffe, zebra, gazelle, tons of birds, a rhino in Ngorongoro (there are only 26 in the whole park and they are on the extinct list!), lions, cheetah and leopards.  Many more smaller animals I can’t think of at the moment.  It was amazing.  Moses was a fantastic driver and could spot things it would sometimes take me a few minutes to pick up with the binoculars.  Good Earth Tours is highly recommended if anyone is in the market for an African safari!

 

Highlights include seeing the cheetah (not everyone does), seeing a lion kill a gazelle (sad but its nature right?) and when two lions literally walked up next to our safari vehicle and were so close Moses stuck his hand out the window and quickly touched its tail!  We have great pictures of a huge lion, resting under the shade of our vehicle, trying to take a nap.  Moses turned on the car and revved the engine to get it to move but it wasn’t really interested.  After a few minutes of us annoying the lion he started swatting at the truck, bit the tire (luckily didn’t bite a hole because I wasn’t getting out to change the tire…not that I know how to change a tire or anything…) and ripped a little hole in the spare tire cover on the back of the truck.  Finally got up and walked away so we could drive on.  Can’t wait to see the pictures when I get home!  The land was just so beautiful and it was so peaceful riding around with the roof popped up so you could stand up and stare out while driving.  Would love to do it again.

 

After safari we flew to Zanzibar for 3 nights at the Shooting Star Lodge.  Another fantastic choice!  We were on the east side of the island in Kiwengwa.  The rooms were gorgeous, right on the beach and the only mishap was a huge spider waiting for me at 6:30 AM one morning.  Now, I like to exaggerate a bit now and then but this spider was literally the size of the toilet paper roll it was resting on.  I screamed, woke up my mom who took one look and ran out the door to go find someone to kill it while I hopped up onto the bathroom sink to watch and make sure it didn’t run away!  Some guy came and killed it but I really wish I got a picture of it before it was smashed, it was huge!  I hope I never spot one again, I can handle the 4-5 geckos that are currently living in my room with me but spiders are another thing!  The hotel was so nice, coffee and tea every morning on our patio when we woke up, super nice beach and infinity pool overlooking the ocean, more excellent food and drinks, fantastic Zanzibar coffee scrub/ massage and an awesome lobster BBQ on the beach one night for dinner.  Thanks mom and it was so much fun seeing everyone!

 

Last Thursday they left.  L  We got in a cab to take them to the airport and dropped me in Stone Town on the way.  Tears from me of course.  Miss them a lot.  Spent 4 nights in Stone Town exploring the old city.  This island is 90% Muslim and it’s currently Ramadan which means no food from sunup to sundown among other things.  Don’t worry, there are still restaurants for the tourists open although of course they are the expensive ones.  Ripped a few pages and maps out of my Tanzania book so I wouldn’t stick out too much (I’m sure it didn’t work) and explored the city which is basically comprised of tons of small alley’s no cars can fit down so its great for walking.  It’s a gorgeous town and I’ll probably head back there for at least a night before heading off.  Lots of old buildings, mosque’s, very nice.

 

Also have been snorkeling twice, off Mnemba Island and Chumbe Island.  Both were great.  Chumbe Island is protected by the government and was gorgeous.  There is one hotel on the island comprised of 7 little bungalow style rooms and it’s won many eco travel awards, really cool.  I spent the day with two 50 year old Italian woman with limited English but we had a lot of fun.  Mirna and Allesandra…Mirna was hilarious and almost broke her ankle about 15 times during our hike in the forest as she was wearing platform high heeled sandals on our hike.  Not the smartest idea!  Snorkeling was fantastic.  There were two marine biologists from the U.S. going out in the same boat so I followed them around in the water for two hours while they pointed out all sorts of cool fish to me.  At some points there were probably a thousand swimming all around us.  Of course I don’t remember any of the fish names either.  I think they told me there are over 400 types of coral species in the reef, over 90% of species found in East Africa.   

 

On Monday I came to Nungwi, a smaller fishing village on the northern tip of the island.  It’s pretty calm and peaceful here.  All of the dhows (wooden fishing boats) leave from the beach late afternoon around 3 PM and fish all night arriving back around 6 AM the next morning.  I'm planning on waking up early tomorrow morning to watch them come in and try to watch some of the auctions between local fisherman, locals, restaurant/ hotel owners.  Probably won't smell the best but should be interesting to see.  Was planning on heading to Jambiani on the southeast coast next week but  I’m doing a yoga program with an instructor, Marisa who is so calm and great.  She’s from South Africa and moved here about 3 years ago.  We do yoga/ meditation for 2 hours every morning and for 1.5 hours right around sunset.  It’s so peaceful and I've decided to stay here another week to practice with her until I fly up to meet one of my best friends, Jessica and her husband Bryan in Malta for almost a week in the middle of September, looking forward to seeing them but not looking forward to my 24 hour layover at the airport in Istanbul.  Found more direct flights but they were about $500 more so I'll be making myself comfortable in the airport for a while.  Walking around the village today to investigate cheap sleeping options.  Staying at Flame Tree Cottages right now which is really nice and right on the beach but it was a bit of a splurge and need to find a more reasonable option.  I should be able to find something, probably not right on the beach but close enough for about 25,000 tsh a night (roughly $17 USD) .  The rest of my days are pretty much spent laying on the beach reading, napping, doing whatever I want.  Today’s Marisa's birthday and she invited me to her party tonight, can't wait to meet some of her friends here. 

 

That’s it for now…I’m typing this up on a laptop in an internet café.  I think the battery is about to run out and of course the power is out.  Happens a lot here, probably at least 4 times each night the power goes on and off.  The hotel I’m staying at has a generator that kicks in but last year I know the power was out for over 3 months on this island!  It comes from Dar Es Saalam under the ocean and something broke.  Anyway, about to save this post to my flash drive with the hopes of posting it tomorrow…assuming the power comes back on!  :)

 

Take care, hope everyone is well, Cath

Comments

1

Just wanted everyone to know that the blog entry has a bit of font info at the start but the remainder is cath's text. The safari was amazing. We miss you Catherine.

  Mom Sep 8, 2010 12:30 PM

2

I love reading your blog!!! Enjoy yourself catherine! Donna campbell

  Donna Campbell Sep 9, 2010 10:38 PM

3

Cath, crazy spider story! Wish I was there for your daily yoga and meditation..sounds amazing! Miss you and love the update!

  Kate Sep 11, 2010 7:28 AM

4

Sounds like you're having the trip of your lifetime. I love reading your blog. Keep having fun!

  Kate B Sep 11, 2010 12:02 PM

5

You are doing yoga for 3.5 hours everyday, and I would just like to pee by myself uninterrupted for 2 minutes. Glad to hear you are having a good time, except for the spider. The boys as always send sloppy kisses and hugs. Timothy is just excited that you got really close to elephants and giraffes and still does not understand why you can't come home to tell him about it now!!! You know how 5 year olds can be. Be safe and talk to you soon!!! Love from us all!!

  Marcia Sep 16, 2010 11:56 AM

6

I am sad that I cannot come back when Laura does. If I could only get a free airline ticket then I could handle the rest!

  Liz Sep 17, 2010 11:46 PM

About catherinehickey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.