Existing Member?

Jina Langu ni Catherine Go to the people; live with them, learn from them, love them, start with what they know build with what they have. But of the best leaders, when the job is done, the task accomplished the people will say: "We have done it ourselves." Lao Tzu

June 21, 2010

TANZANIA | Monday, 21 June 2010 | Views [623] | Comments [5]

Beginning my second week in Mbauda, Tanzania which the name of our village outside Arusha.  I’ve walked around most of my village and Arusha, however I still haven’t found the “touristy” part because I haven’t seen one restaurant or hotel mentioned in my guidebook or any other “mzunga” a/k/a “white person.”  All the little kids on the street yell mzunga at us all day long.

Thought I was going to be in an orphanage but I’ve been placed at Shephard Junior School which is in Moivaro and have been observing a level 3 class the past week.  I’ll be getting my first assignments to prepare tomorrow, not that I’ve ever taught a day in my life before so wish me luck!  It’s actually a pretty well off school compared to most others however the kids still share books and have to copy homework questions off the board every night.  They also sharpen pencils with razor blades, yikes!  I was surprised by how exceptionally well behaved they are although the teachers said even the very little kids in nursery level understand what a privilege it is to attend the school.   And yes, some of these kids walk 45 minutes on their own to catch a 25 minute school bus ride to school everyday.  The 3rd graders have class from 8 AM to 3 PM everyday, levels 4 and 6 have class until 5 PM as they are preparing for national exams, they also attend class on Saturdays for 4 hours. 

Last weekend was my first weekend here.  Saturday Marisa (super nice girl I live with from Boston) walked up to the cultural center and toured the galleries and bought bracelets.  When we were walking around after talking to some of the workers (well, greeting for the most part) in Swahili the owner of the shop came up to us and asked us if we were local.  We told him we’d be around for a couple months and he told us to come back and he would give us 30% back for the “local discount.”  Nice.  Then we got invited and put on a list for the Arts Fest the next day which was fun.  Mostly singing and dancing and food.  We also went up to Shanga House which is a shop where deaf and mute woman work making jewelry.  We had an excellent lunch there with champagne, fresh juice and about 4 courses and a bottle of wine for about $15 each.  The place is really beautiful and hopefully someday I’ll be able to post pictures! 

That’s it for now, settling in and getting used to everything.  It gets dark really early now because it’s the winter and the electricity and lights are super dim.  It’s hard to read and write after about 7 PM.  We have a TV and Mama Zubeyda and her family are obsessed with watching Brazilian soap operas, the favorite is “Shades of Sin” and American music videos, no clue where the DVD’s come from though.

 

Hope all is well!  Take care, Catherine

Comments

1

Sounds like you are having a good time. I am so proud of you Cath! You are really going to make a difference there! Keep writing...I love to hear your stories!

  Amanda Chaffee Jun 22, 2010 4:42 AM

2

Catherine,
I missed saying goodbye and wishing you well. I hope this is everything you hope it will be and more. I enjoyed reading your blog. Take care of yourself and give us a call when you get back!!

  Dawn Wakefield Jun 22, 2010 5:08 AM

3

Oh a local discount, good job Cath! Love hearing your stories and it sounds like you have a friend to pal around with! I can't wait to see photos, so glad you are doing well and settling in. Good luck with the teaching! I'm sure you will do great. Be careful with those razor blades!

  Kate Schuman Jun 22, 2010 7:31 AM

4

hey! Sounds like you are having fun...do you have access to your email there? If so, please send me your mailing address.

  Lauren Duke Jun 24, 2010 10:14 AM

5

I'm glad to hear all is working out for you. Very interesting to hear how others live and it's great to hear you're giving a part of yourself to help make things better for others. Keep updating us with your adventures.

  Cindy N Jun 25, 2010 5:23 AM

About catherinehickey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.