Existing Member?

Jina Langu ni Catherine Go to the people; live with them, learn from them, love them, start with what they know build with what they have. But of the best leaders, when the job is done, the task accomplished the people will say: "We have done it ourselves." Lao Tzu

Arusha I'm here!

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 16 June 2010 | Views [692] | Comments [9]

I've arrived in Arusha, Tanzania as of Sunday night around 10 PM.  This post is going to be short because the internet connection is incredibly slow and I haven't planned much out. Also not sure when I'll be able to upload pictures but will try my best.  

Not sure if any amount of research/ pictures/ etc. could prepare someone for the reality of daily life here.  Took my first "shower" (and only shower so far and its Wednesday!) with a bucket of hot water on Monday night, not so bad, toilet is a hole in the ground but a very nice ceramic tiled hole, also very interesting.  The street I walk down to get to my house is a dirt road, as they all are with more holes and bumps than the Dan Ryan in January, I thought I needed a neck brace after I got dropped off.  Our mode of transportation is by dalla dalla or walking.  Dalla dalla's are extended mini van type vehicles however they cram about 24 people in them at a time.  I'm sure I'll crash in one at some point.  5 minutes left on this internet...what else...yes, every woman carries around large baskets of fruit, rice, etc. on their heads, I just don't understand how they do it!  Goats, chickens, a few cows wander around the streets, I really don't know how they remember what home to go home to at night but somehow they do and then the roosters get to sleep in the kitchen and start making noise and waking us up at 5 AM.  Awesome :)

I love it here, today was my first day at the school and the kids and everyone is so welcoming and grateful we're here.  Takes about 1.5 hours to get to school riding two dalla dalla's then walking for maybe 20 minutes.  I'll write more later!  Cath

Comments

1

Wow, glad you love it! Sounds so interesting...can't wait to see some pictures of you and your new habitat.

  kate Jun 17, 2010 6:29 PM

2

Cath!!! I've been waiting for you to post something...so happy you did! Keep posting and we'll keep reading. love you and stay strong!

  Kate Huff Jun 18, 2010 2:57 AM

3

So happy to hear that you made it there safe! Sounds quite different than Chicago. Hope you are having fun and enjoying yourself!!

  Lauren Duke Jun 19, 2010 3:05 AM

4

Glad to hear you made it allright. Be careful in your dalla dallas. Can't wait to hear about your moms first trip in one. Be safe, sending sloppy kisses from the boys!!!!

  Marcia and the boys Jun 19, 2010 12:37 PM

5

We love you and miss you. Try to give a few details about the town and the school or whatever else you find interesting. Have fun.

  Mom Jun 20, 2010 2:01 PM

6

I have been thinking about you often. So happy to read your first post. What is Mama Z like and where are the other volunteers from that you live with?

  Heather Stafford Jun 21, 2010 10:39 AM

7

Cath!! So glad you landed ok!! I miss you so much and have been thinking of you everyday!! Can't believe you are in Africa!!! Stay safe!!! Love you!

  Laurie Baker Jun 21, 2010 3:40 PM

8

Hey girl! I'm so glad you made it there safe & sound and that you are enjoying it! I've been thinking about you lots, wondering what it's like! Love you!!! Make good choices! :)

  Suzie Shoemaker Jun 23, 2010 6:40 AM

9

Hi Catherine.
Hope you doing well.Am living at arusha tanzania the place you explain how you travel the days passed,it real interesting to other people as you know we are africans,we had natural culture,we live in loving each other.
Am real enjoyed to real the people who know the place,my request to you is can we please be friends?i wll be happy to have friend from out my country coz i will learn also for other cultures also hope to learn more.
I most welcome you back again.{karibu sana tanzania}
Cheers
Leonard

  Leonard Dec 5, 2011 6:52 PM

About catherinehickey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.