Existing Member?

A State of Mind

Rothenburg: Ahead into the Past!

GERMANY | Tuesday, 19 May 2015 | Views [444] | Scholarship Entry

What if I tell you, I had once walked into the medieval times where gallant knights strolled the streets by my side and young maidens with rosy cheeks wore corsets tight. Traumfantastischer! Yes, indeed for I was in Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
My friend and I decided to take time off from the boisterous revelries of the München Öktoberfest and visit the dreamy Bavarian town of Rothenburg. Once it was an Imperial City, heavily fortified and till date the walls stand.
As we stood in front of the City gates, my friend urged me to click some photos but the town had already pulled me in; I hastily handed her my camera and strode further ahead. The town appeared deserted and I wandered around dumbfounded by the antiquity of the place. Suddenly an olive-green figure walked past me. The figure was a knight! My heart did a little waltz and I hurried after him, trying to catch up his valiant stride. I came up on to the market square, effervesced with people. The cardiac eruptions of intense euphoria were clouding up my mind.
Did I just walk into the 1600s? Or, was I hallucinating because of all the beer drinking earlier that day? There were women dressed in long flowing gowns and corsets clinging onto their chest. They wore tiaras or feathered hats. The men wore shirts with ruff around their necks and jerkins on top. Some also had capes. As I was melting down into the glorious epiphany, suddenly I spotted my olive-green knight entering a particularly old styled building. I followed him to a room on the top most floors.
The mixed aroma of wine and cigar pulled me into the ‘great’ hall. At its far end, a bunch of youngsters were rehearsing what appeared to be a scene from a play. I could see young maidens doing each other’s hair or applying final touches to their make up! And, the wine was overflowing, I too was handed a glass full! Ah! sweet Franconian wine. I stood there rooted on spot, absorbing in as much of the classic episode as I could. My epic rendezvous.
The bursting of crackers and the drumroll ushered me back downstairs where I met with my friend. She informed me it was the Festspiel Der Meistertrunk observed by the town to celebrate the legend of Mayor Nusch who once drank a tankard of wine to save the city.
All photos taken that evening came out blurry and distorted. This was of course because of my friend not knowing to set my DSLR but I would like to believe otherwise. What if, the evening was not in actuality but sheer magic!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About castawa_ycastie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.