Existing Member?

Casie's World Adventure - The World is My Oyster!

And so it begins!

NETHERLANDS | Monday, 27 June 2011 | Views [411] | Comments [1]

View of Westerkerk from the street walking from my hostel.

View of Westerkerk from the street walking from my hostel.

So I've made it to Amsterdam safely!  The biggest struggle so far (as always) is lugging your bag from point A to point B...I found the right bus from the airport to the hostel, so that was good, but once we got to the bus stop it was a bit tough trying to find the right way to go! Luckily I picked one of the nicest cities in the world, because when people look lost, locals actually help them find their way! Thank you to the woman on the street who helped point me in the right direction! :)

So I got to the hostel and checked in letting them know I was going to start cleaning on Tuesday; they said they might need me to start earlier than that if that worked, so I am going to be actually starting today (which is nice because that means an extra free night of stay!) so I'll begin my cleaning work in about an hour!! 

After I got all checked in yesterday, I headed out to the grocery store to get some food/water and I sat at a bench across the canal from the Anne Frank House and the Westerkerk, watching canal boats go by for a quiet, peaceful picnic!  The weather is gorgeous, high 70's yesterday and its supposed to be in the 80s today, can't wait to get off work, hopefully meet some friends and do some exploring! Until next time...

-Casie :)

Ok, so the evening update!! So I started cleaning this morning...which is really not going to be fun!!  Haha, however, I am going to be an awesome & efficient bed maker when I come back!!  I thought about quitting today...hahaha but I'll tough it out :)  The only real hard part is that they over-booked and didn't have a bed for me; so they had to re-arrange the lockers in the big dorm and add another bed, which means I am currently staying in a 19 bed room!!  I'll be in the same dorm my whole month here, so that's going to be an adjustment in and of itself!  Kind of an interesting horoscope for today:

"Not every day can be a life-affirming adventure, unfortunately, and today is one of those slow rides that seems to go nowhere. Try to just wait it out, as things should get a lot more interesting tomorrow."

I thought this was very fitting for today! I also survived my first bible discussion and took a nice stroll around the Jordaan area of Amsterdam this afternoon.  Nothing too huge to report as of yet, but the journey is just beginning! :)

-Casie

Tags: anne frank house, westerkerk

 

Comments

1

I feel like Im right there with you when Im reading this since Ive been there 3 times & know what you're talking about!! Glad youre toughing it out! & good luck with that 19 person dorm, ugh. Hope you meet some cool peeps!

  Amy Jun 30, 2011 8:07 AM

About casie

This is a picture I took the summer of 2010 while in Dresden, Germany.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.