Existing Member?

California USA, Mexico, Guatemala & Belize This is my journal for my next trip from 17 March 2008 starting in LA, San Francisco, San Diego then down into Mexico. Will now be going to parts of Guatemala and Belize.

San Pedro and Chichicastenango

GUATEMALA | Sunday, 18 May 2008 | Views [799]

San Pedro is one of the many little towns surrounding Largo de Antitlan (lake Antitlan).  The lake is very big and the scenery is beautiful here.  The countryside in Guatemala is very lush and green.  The indigenous ladies here dress very elegantly in pretty woven surongs and pretty tops and always wear an emboidered belt.  It is very cheap for a backpacker here (1quetzal = 7.45US$).  I have a very basic room here for 20 quetzales which amounts to about pound1.50.  The hotel is called Valle Azul (Blue Valley) and the building is certainly blue!!! With it being very cheap here there is some very bad poverty. So far though all the main roads have been paved.  On the bus on the way here it was very funny as they are widening the main road so sometimes you have to wait a while for traffic coming the other way as it can be one lane.  As soon as you stop you see people jumping out of their cars with baskets selling anything from car phone chargers to food.  As soon as the traffic starts moving all the vendors make a mad dash back to their cars. Talk about take advantage of a selling opportunity!  

Visited Chichicastenango today which has a famous market every Sunday and Thursday.  The market has many bright colours and is very busy especially at 10am when buses of tourists swoop in on the town!!  The journey there took about 2 hours around a steep and very windy road.   

About carolwil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.