Existing Member?

The excitement is not always about the destination but the adventure of how you get there!

The Excitement of an Impulse, Unknown Journey

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [391] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day that I hopped on a plane, an international flight without my family, children and the person I was going to visit knowing, all except my closest friend - only because I needed someone to drop me off at the airport.
I come from Papua New Guinea (PNG). I don't travel out of the country much, but 2010 would have been my international jet setting year ( for what seems like decades).
My boyfriend, at the time, was pursuing further studies at a Uni in a place called Orange, New South Wales, Australia. I never knew such a place existed, until he said he was going there. I later found out it is renown for its apples.
My impulse journey was to Orange - it was more a peace offering surprise visit. He had come back to PNG for a field study research for his course, at the same time I was just about to leave on a 3-week Pacific Leadership Program which took me to Tonga and Samoa with country hopping in between to Australia, New Zealand (Auckland) and Fiji to get there. Such an exciting time! I collected souvenir magnets at each stop!
He wasn't too happy about that as we only spent a week and by the time I got back, he was back in Australia.
He was very, very upset - that I didn't cancel the trip for him.

It was one of those spur-light-bulb moments that got me onto Google and searching on how to get to Orange from PNG at low costs.
In a couple of hours, I had purchased my air plane ticket from PNG to Brisbane, a domestic ticket from Brisbane to Sydney, and a coach ticket all online! It was the first time ever that I've done online travel and it just amazed me even more how much information is online AND how handy a VISA card can be!
I had also printed out maps, read up on information for my different stops and travel modes from plane, to another plane, train, another train, coach, car to get to his residence also the varied temperatures from hot to warm to cold. Orange is a very 11d cold place.
I had only a transit visa which allowed me to be in Australia for 72hours and the times between the travel were very tight. If I missed one leg of the journey, my whole trip and plan would be a total bust. It was make it! or break it!
I made it! Just!
Mission was definitely accomplished - the look on his face when I knocked on the door. Surprise!
I'll always remember that travel! Getting there and then the return trip, well, let's say it is another story to tell as I missed my flight, my visa expired BUT I did get back legally and not deported :D

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About carolepng


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.