Existing Member?

Captain Yeller's Treasure Book.

The eighth episode: Ayutthaya.

THAILAND | Wednesday, 11 May 2016 | Views [378]

Since I ended at the trainstation in Bangkok, lets continue there, wikitravel said around 250 baht for a second class ticket from Bangkok to Ayutthaya, a 3th class would be even cheaper but hard to get since they only wanna sell those to locals. I experienced something different, they offered me directly a ticket for 15 baht in 3th class, which means no air conditioning. I decided to go for second class, one hour long waiting and only 65 baht. Wikitravel was wrong. I sit down in the trainstation and observed the local life and other travelers. The time flies by and I walked towards my train which could be entered half an hour in front. This 2nd class had better seats then Belgian first class trains but no real airco, some turning fans, looked quite nice. People walk all trainride up and down to sell anything but I prepared myself with enough water. I noticed some people use cooler buckets with drinks, never seen that before, looked great! I decided to go for the train instead of minibus or bus even if the cost was bigger, Wikitravel said you get better views on the train, I have to disagree with them again on that but the train inside was much nicer then a bus anyway. They spray the complete train twice with some anti mosquito spray, that felt great, haha. The ride should have been 2 hours but with a lot of stops without trainstations it arrived with one hour delay. As soon as I left the train the local Tuktuk guys tried to get me in to their Tuktuks but I decided to take the ferry for one baht and walk 2km. The ferry crossed a very small river but gave a nice view on wooden houses along the river. Then I walked towards my hostel and already bumped into 2 small temples which I would otherwise never have visited. Thats why I prefer walking. The hostel looked wonderful, a very big wooden house, next to the river in nice colors, nice rooms, a great garden with a boat there and a relaxing couch. After not enjoyng Bangkok that much I really loved every second from the first step on the train. For me this felt like my first real Thailand experience and I loved it. I decided to get some foot there and relax for the rest of the day, the hostel also gave me a book of information, best views and a map from the city, this place used to be the old capital of Thailand and you can clearly see it. I went to eat something in front of a temple when night fell, I couldn't wait for tomorrow!

Waking up early, getting some breakfast and start the day! They rent bikes and Tuktuks would take you everywhere but I wanted to walk like usual. The first stop was an ancient temple who looks like the one from adventure movies or games. Such a beautiful buildings, much different then my Roman, Greek and Egyptian views before. I stayed there for about an hour and enjoy every single view. The next temple had one of those trees that grows over a Buddha face statue, first time I get to see that and its a magical view, everything else in that massive temple felt wonderful as well, I got the feeling that some of my pictures could be postcards. I decided to work my way up to another temple and needed to cross a park for that full of small lakes, bridges, fishes, cool looking & sounding birds and other temples. This feeling of joy inside is hard to discribe, all alone, far away fro everything and everyone and just slowly walking, being happy, not a single care in the world. I love this trip. While smiling all the way around the park I ended up at a third temple, this was another masterpiece, most parts are ruined but they look absolutly stunning, and completly different then the others. I could spend hours enjoying the sight of these but I had to move on. Before I could continue my way some local university people stopped me for an enquete about Thailand and my experience, I spend 15 minutes with them, had some nice talks and got a small golden elephant gift. Super lovely people! They call this place the Venice of the east, quite funny if you come from the Venice of the north.. As soon as there are canals and bridges its called Venice from anywhere.. My last stop of the day was a massive Buddha statue that is sleeping, I was pretty excited for this one since its the background that was used in the Street Fighter game from Sagat his stage. I was a Street Fighter addict when I was young. To see this in real life is another wonderful experience and it looked better then I expected. I was already walking for 4,5 hours in the coldest day until now, only 34° but not less sweaty at all so deciced to go back to my hostel for a break. This city has around 80 or 90 things to offer but what I have seen was wonderful for now. A long walk to the hostel with some great views were a perfect end for now.

Back at the hostel I talked with people who stayed long then me in Thailand about my mosquito fear and since its dry season there seem to be not too much of them. I didn't use any protection for now, except that only night out in Bangkok with citronella, which I still have with me. I have only seen 2 mosquitos until now, my paranoia is under control, for now.. After some relaxing I booked an evening tour with a boat around the island thru the hotel where the boat would pick us up. Only people from this hostel were on this small local boat. The views on the local houses next to the river are so beautiful, I do know I say this a lot but I can't help everything looks magical. We stopped at the first temple where we got out and inside this temple I bumped into the biggest ancient Buddha statue they have and big it was. I could see people stand on it, they were about to start the praying, another magical experience that I don't understand. They roll down some of his cloathing and people at the bottom of the statue put if over their heads. How lucky am I to whitness this all. Around 20 minutes later we continued the cruise to the next temple, this one didnt look very impressive until I started walking in their backgarden to find another big Buddha sleeping. I love these places and statues! We cruised further around the island to stop at one other big temple who looked like the ones I visited but much darker and we enjoyed the perfect sunset there. How nice did this day turn out. You can plan everything before and create a masterplan on paper but to actually experience it is another level.

We cruised back to the hostel and I went for food in the same place with a view on the temple. The time before I enjoyed food here I enjoyed watching the girls working there, they are small and very cute in their beheviour, followed me out and kept waving, very humble and cute. The same girls were working there tonight and were as cute as before but when I arrived no music was playing and 5 minutes later the most romantic english songs started to play. I start to believe they try to play with my mind. The food there was great, oh that reminds me! A few hours earlier I tried chicken noodles for the first time with sticks. Great, how would I handle those! I felt like a little kid trying to catch ducks at a fair but this price was my food. I did manage to work it out eventually but I had to work for my food. Anyway I walked home with nice songs in my head and decided to go to bed.

When I woke up the 2 other people I shared the room with asked me if I heard these noizes tonight. I didn't hear a thing, both of them were freaked out since they heard knocking on our door and something falling on the ground but no footsteps, talking about how old this house must be, quite funny since I had the perfect sleep. I walked down for information for a bus to my net destination and guess what, the minibus would leave right now to hostel and it was the only one of the day. they called, I grabbed my bag and left. It keeps amaze me how lucky I am the whole time. This minibus drove around 2,5 hours to my next destination and dropped me off in front of my hostel. Talking about service..! I decided to use this day to eat, do my laundry, do my planning, relax,.. I really enjoy this place, less luxerous then the last hostel but super friendly hosts. I stayed all day and finish the day writing this blog. The next 3 days will be full of adventure, don't know if I will find time or wifi to give updates but great new adventures on the way!

Until the next episode!

 

About captainyeller


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.