Existing Member?

Shabadoo and wifelette down under

Rob and Jude

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 9 March 2008 | Views [850]

Seems strange to just stumble across friends from the UK over here, but that's just what we've done. I went to university with Rob in Essex, and through a bizarre twist of fate, we both find ourselves in Sydney at the same time. We wouldn't have known he was here, but for mutual friends mentioning him. So, a couple of texts later, we found ourselves meeting at Bondi Junction for a walk along the coast. After a quick Starbucks, we hopped the bus to Bondi Beach, and had a good long walk south to Coogee Beach, where we had lunch at the Coogee Beach Hotel (yes, it's on Coogee Beach - what are the odds?).

Rob and his wife Jude have come over for a lengthy honeymoon after a month in China, and after running a little low on cash on the East Coast, decided to find work in Sydney. They've been here since before Christmas (they had a New Year's Eve overlooking the harbour that made me bitter and jealous), and are very generous hosts. Rob offered us the use of his washing machine for our hideous and skanky clothing (a week here decimates the average wardrobe, and mine is distinctly under-par at the best of times), and he even paid for the taxi from our hostel to his flat. 

AND WHAT A FLAT!!!

Cat took a couple of piccies from the balcony, and we'll post them when we get the chance. Suffice to say, they have the sort of view of the Bridge, harbour and Opera House that would make grown men weep. And after those men had finished weeping, Rob and Jude would hug them better, and buy them dinner. They're that nice. Cat and I are feeling suitably guilty at this calibre of treatment (think we'll buy them a nice meal once we get back to the UK).

So now we're sitting in their flat, using their internet connection to post this, whilst they're off buying us Thai food for dinner. And our pants and socks are being dried by classy Opera House air. And folks, this view of the harbour and city at sunset is something quite amazing, the sort of thing that makes a trip of this size worthwhile. 

Hope you're still enjoying Blighty/America. We're having a lovely evening. And if you get the chance, raise a glass to Rob and Jude, two of the nicest hosts a traveller could hope to have.

[Cat] My pants are getting dry in front of the Sydney Opera House! Pics to follow soon...

Good people, in front of their good view.

Good people, in front of their good view.

Tags: people

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.