Existing Member?

Global Snapshots Recipient of the inaugural World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship is let loose in Australia's top end...

Reflections on Garma and the Scholarship

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 1 September 2007 | Views [1968]

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

Garma was an awesome, life changing experience. It took me a few days to settle in but as challenging as some of it was, when I look back I can see how much I have grown as a person from the experience, and grown in my confidence and ability to get out there in the world and do this kind of work. It has equipped and prepared me for the competitive cut-throat photographic world out there, and for that I'm deeply thankful.

I hope it won't be my only Garma experience, as I miss the love and passion for life the Yolngu possess. I miss their bungul (dancing), manikay (song) and miny’tji (designs). I miss their smiling faces, and gentle nature. I miss their rich use of colour. I miss the red dust. I miss my friends, the community and family of Garma, and long to go back.

I can clearly see the important role Garma plays in preserving Yolngu culture and traditions, enriching their lives and maintaining their identity for now and future generations.

I would like to thank World Nomads and the Yothu Yindi Foundation for giving me this opportunity of a lifetime. Thanks to Mark Rogers for your support and advice.

and thank you for reading,
Cameron Herweynen.

Tags: Adventures

About cameron

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.