Existing Member?

Global Snapshots Recipient of the inaugural World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship is let loose in Australia's top end...

Highlights from Day 4

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 1 September 2007 | Views [1210]

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

After getting my confidence from photographing the yellow mob the day before, another photographer and myself went out on a mission to find the red flag mob, and hopefully take their photograph, but after walking and walking and getting directions from a young boy we ended up finding nothing, which was really annoying because I was looking forward to taking their photo, but they were nowhere to be found. So instead I went back to my yellow mob friends and was actually there early enough to capture their painting ceremony. They paint their faces with ochre, which is a bright yellow rock that looks absolutely beautiful on their black skin. I found that I got the best images in this time when they’re getting ready before the dancing. Everyone was so relaxed and happy. I was actually asked by one of the ladies to come and take photos of them painting up, but I didn’t understand her and thought she was asking me for a paintbrush. It was only a few seconds later that I realised that she wanted me to sit next to her and take her photo and photos of others getting painted. I felt so honoured to be allowed into the ceremony, and to be allowed to come so close was incredible. It was a powerful experience. Definitely a life experience. I loved every minute of it. Next time I go to Garma I will focus more on this period of time before the dancing because it had such a positive impact on me and helped me in capturing great photos, because I was comfortable with them and they were with me and my camera.



Tonight’s concert was a concert of a lifetime! It's difficult to describe just how awesome it was, but I suppose sadly you’ll never know unless you were sitting there in the red dust with some 2000 other people there. It was definitely a life experience. The night started off with the supporting acts, young Yolngu rock bands, some of whom were playing to their first live audience of this size. There really is some good talent with the young developing rock stars. Definitely the reception some of them got from their Yolngu fans was intense with people screaming and going crazy.

Of the main acts I remember Shirley very well, she’s an indigenous singer from Sydney I think, but her voice is so awesome, so strong, so beautiful it touched my soul and really moved me. At the airport when I saw her I wanted to say just how awesome she was, but I didn’t have the courage. She was amazing.


Another huge highlight to the concert was the band called “Sing Sing,” a group from Papua New Guinea together with a West Papuan who danced like nothing I’ve seen before, he was so good. I really think he could be the best dancer in the world, that’s how good he was. He danced in a little grass skirt and feather hat. He was wearing a g-string, so every time he turned around or shook his bottom all the Yolngu kids started screaming with laughter. They thought it was the funniest thing. Seeing the excitement on the children’s faces every time he turned around was an experience to remember in itself. As I said this guy is such a great dancer, and also fantastic singer. He sung so well, he nearly brought me to tears, because he was singing a love song in his language, and also sung a song about his country, about… even now as I type I’m nearly crying! But he also sung about his country and about all the troubles his people face… powerful stuff. Words can’t describe how good they were. They started with some percussion, and then drumming, with 8 people drumming away, copying the beat set by the main drummer on the drum kit. By the end of it they were drumming so well it felt like Morse code to the soul.

 

Sing Sing (left), West Papuan dancer and singer (right)

After Sing Sing, we waited a while for the next main act. At 12:30am Yothu Yindi came to the stage, and everyone was full of excitement rushing to the front of the stage to get the best view. I ran with them because I wanted to be in a good position for taking photos. But because the stage is on a mound of dirt people ran right up onto the mound (myself included for the photography), but none could see much from behind them. Security tried to push people back, it worked a little, but what could they do.



Even though it was a late start for the main act, it was well worth the wait. I love Yothu Yindi. I was so excited to be there, and to see them live in the flesh. Apparently the lead singer, Mandawuy Yunupingu, is very ill, which explains why he couldn’t move around too much, and had his eyes closed for most of the time. He did very well considering, his voice was as perfect as it ever was. I was later told that this maybe his last public performance, which made me realise how blessed I was to be at this concert. The Yothu Yindi dancers were so great, the whole band were awesome. The atmosphere was like nothing else. The bright stage lights lit the band members perfectly, with the red dust rising into the night sky, small fires were burning all over keeping the Yolngu audience warm, everyone including all the children were dancing in the dust, totally free, so filled with joy, living in the moment, I was loving it. Definitely a concert of a lifetime.

Tags: Adventures

About cameron

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.