Existing Member?

Global Snapshots Recipient of the inaugural World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship is let loose in Australia's top end...

Highlights from Day 2

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 1 September 2007 | Views [2348] | Comments [1]

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

The Key Forum is an important part of Garma. For 2007 the key issue was on ‘Indigenous health: real solutions for a chronic problem.’ Doctors, teachers and other experts in the area of indigenous health from around Australia and the world were invited to Garma, to discuss ways of successfully tackling and dealing with the issue of indigenous health. I can only hope that the recommendations will be heard and acted upon by the Government of Australia together with the indigenous people of this land, hand in hand, working together, as one.

 

After lunch I joined the Youth Forum, which gives the young people of the land the opportunity to hear advice from the elders and leaders of the land as well as indigenous sport stars, encouraging them to work hard at school, be good to your family, and to never give up because of who you are. It was to encourage the young that they really can do whatever they want if they put their mind to it. They were warned against drugs and alcohol, against “doing bad things.” They are the future leaders and owners of the land, so they need to look after it, themselves and their people.



After the various speakers finished, we all gathered together for a traditional smoking ceremony, to cleanse the young, to start again, making a promise to live life anew.

Everyone was lined up and filed to the fire pit, a short walk away from where the forum was. Wet bark was placed over the hot coals, and in groups of maybe 20 people they placed their hand on the hot wet bark, as one of the leaders sung a song whilst clapping the two sticks together. A Yolngu lady sat with each group, placing her hands over everyone’s hands, giving some kind of blessing.

After a few moments of being steamed, the group would stand up and file past the next fire where women brushed smoked gum leaves over each person, then placing the leaves back onto the coals and brushing the next person. It was a great experience. Seeing the reactions of all the people walking through, especially the white children who found it all a bit too hot, with one girl getting burnt from the smoked leaves as they brushed against her skin. As the ceremony was to purify everyone, I went through with the last group after I had photographed everyone else. And I can say the steamy wet bark was very hot, and you had to hold your hands in the heat for a long time. I was also a bit afraid of the burnt gum leaves brushing against my skin, but I think I handled it ok. Just my lungs didn’t feel so purified after breathing in all that smoke, but hey it was totally worth it.

The dancing of that evening was stepped up even more from the night before. I sat on the other side to last time, shooting into the sun to get the colours of the sand lit by the light behind it.



But little did I know that the place where I sat was going to be the path for the next dance. I was kindly asked to move along. I felt a bit cut down to start with but I quickly realise it was good that I moved otherwise I would have been in strife. I was in the best position for the dance. I was still really close, but thankfully I didn’t get trampled.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi

It was so good to see your photos again!

WOW! some good stuff. It was also really interesting to follow your journey through the articles. Well done, Cameron.

  Johanna Hamlyn-Grace Nov 8, 2007 3:00 AM

About cameron

Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.