Existing Member?

Around the World

Helsinki

FINLAND | Monday, 17 September 2007 | Views [470] | Comments [1]

Finland is cold, clean and closed...since it is Sunday. I attended mass at the beautiful cathedral this morning as it was closed to visitors and then took a ferry over to the island where Sweden once had a jail. It was really cool on the island; you could climb all around and in and out of buildings, no pesky safety railings or keep out signs like in the US. I wanted to shop in all the cool stores but they were, of course, closed;  I ended up at a movie with double subtitles...in Finnish and Swedish. Tomorrow I head to...dun..dun..dun.. Russia. Hopefully I'll survive the border crossing. I can't get the few pics I took today to upload so I'll just send this for now. Hopefully I'll find a working computer in Russia. Hope you all had a great weekend.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hey Liz, I'm in Helsinki too - heading to Russia one day behind you... to St Petersburg on Monday. I arrived here on Saturday and was surprised that everything's closed on Sundays too! Great city though.

  george Sep 17, 2007 6:40 AM

About busyliz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.