Existing Member?

Around the World

Luxembourg and Lictenstein

SWITZERLAND | Monday, 10 September 2007 | Views [3279]

Tonight Susie and I are relaxing at the Morris' house in Basal, Switzerland after a day in one of the smallest countries, Lictenstein. We walked around the cute Swiss-Alps style town and went to a Sunday flea market, the interesting National Museum and had lunch at a sidewalk cafe. The country is only 25 kilometers by 6 kilometers, but is really green and hilly. They speak a dialect of German but everyone spoke English, thank goodness. Getting there was really easy. The train from Zurich went to Sargans near the border and then a bus meets the train and takes you to Vaduz, the town where the Royal Family lives. It was as easy as going to see Monet's Garden in Giverny. Zurich was very funky. We stayed in the Zic Zac Rock hotel where each room was named for a different rock star. We stayed in Joe Cocker. They had a restaurant like a bad imitation of the Hard Rock Cafe. The night before we were in Luxembourg, which also has a royal family living in a palace downtown. They were having a summer concert in the main square and we had Mexican food and sat out listening to a Bavarian marching band play ABBA and famous marches. The catedral was very beautiful, really neat stained glass and cool organs. The scenery was breathtaking here too, not as mountainous as Lictenstein, but very pretty. On Tuesday we'll go to the Alps and then head down to visit my cousin and his family in Sappey, France.

Tags: Sightseeing

About busyliz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.