Existing Member?

Andrex Travel the Globe; Andrew's side of things!

Off Roading; Sailing; I love my life

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 4 June 2008 | Views [1213] | Comments [7]

It's difficult to know where to begin for this entry, but I guess chronological order makes sense!

Byron was thoroughly enjoyable, a highlight being our trip to a tiny town called Nimbin, which is essential Australia's Amsterdam. People sell weed on the streets and the police turn a blind eye most of the time despite having a station right there. We arrived just after they'd finished their Mardi Grass Festival and it really does look like you'd imagine a stoner town to look. It was slightly surreal to see a school trip of nine year olds though. The tour is a whole day trip and also includes a drive through a national park to see the waterfalls and then a trip to a sanctuary that one crazy American has spent 40 years planting by himself - it will be easier to describe that in person!

After Byron we whizzed up north, stopping for one night of sleep in Brisbane then off past Rainbow beach (which was more Shades Of Dirty Beige beach) and up to Hervey Bay. The word's of our Oz Bus driver Hailey sums this place up; "thank fuck for the Irish" because the only nightlife there is one Irish pub. However, Hervey is really just a stop of place for revellers to catch a ferry on to Fraser Island.

Fraser Island is a massive sand island, and also covered in tropical rainforest so is very unusual. We took a self drive 4x4 trip there in a convoy of 3 cars, each one taking 10 people. Uncle Iain who met in Sydney did the driving while the rest of us sat in the back drinking beers and getting bounced around. Unfortunately our car broke down and we lost the convoy and got stranded in a camp we weren't allowed to be in. Fortunately we got a new one at 9 in the morning the next day and they brought us an Esky (ice box) full of beers by way of apology. The beer started flowing at 9 and by 6 in the evening we had drunk 220 cans between the 10 of us. Then we got on the goon...

A quick aside for those not in the know... Goon is the backpackers drink of choice, it is a cheap box of alcoholic liquid that pretends to be wine and contains fish eggs. It's about 5 quid for 5 litres and probably causes permanent brain damage. I'll say no more.

The night was incredible, our luck continued and the weather was absolutely superb. The stars were the most beautiful I had ever seen and sitting there on the beach in pure night, dingos running around, the Milky Way like a splatter painting in the sky was quite an experience.

We spent 3 days and two nights on Fraser but I wish I could have spent more. Fortunately we left before the weather got so bad they had to close the island! After Fraser we bussed on up to Airlie Beach for our Whitsundays sailing trip. Two days and two nights on a racing yacht and during the day we went snorkelling. We had a free dive included but unfortunately Alex, James and I all had blocked noses so it wasn't safe for us to dive.

As I write this I am sat in a hostel called Base on Magnetic Island. The beach is literally - literally - a stone's throw away, the weather is perfect and earlier we went for a swim in crystal clear water. In a minute I will go and grab a beer (or more likely, several beers) and have a dance on the beach.

Love to everyone reading.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

1

WOW!!! Sounds absolutely marvellous. Can't wait to see the pictures.

love you so much

xxxxxxxxxx

PS Hugs to Boll

  Edyth Miles Jun 5, 2008 1:29 AM

2

Great to hear from you again. Is the wine made from fish eggs or do the fish get pissed and lay eggs in it??? Sounds grose!

All this beer - you'll be fat when you get back, or have no liver.

So glad you're making the most of this and I'm still jealous!

Love Dad.

  Colin Jun 5, 2008 4:31 AM

3

hey andy babes! sounds sh*t hot! im still so jealous and now uni is over, what you guys are doing will be all i have to think about!!!
love!
miss!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ps hope fraser enjoyed the two nights you spent on her ... :S

  Rose Jun 5, 2008 6:56 AM

4

Goon isn't made from fish eggs, no-one really knows how it's made but it just has them in it...

For the record, last night Alex, James and I bought two beers each and that was it at full price. We put on some girls dresses, got free pitchers and ladies prices on shots. I also won a pitcher by eating a snickers quicker than the other guys competing from between a girls legs. It ended with a group of us skinny dipping in the sea, and yes there are pictures!

PS I can't believe you thought of that and we didn't Rose!

Love!
xxxxx

  bulwer Jun 5, 2008 9:35 AM

5

All that sun and sea and healthy food, wow, sounds amazing!

Keep havin fun,

Love n hugs
J

  Jenny Jun 5, 2008 7:42 PM

6

Just looked up Base, Magnetic island on google earth - amazing looking beach!

It's so fantastic looking at these places. Base is in good resolution - the marina with the yachts is really clear - fraser island wasn't - must have been all those beers.

Love and hugs

  Colin Jun 7, 2008 10:19 AM

7

" We spent 3 days and two nights on Fraser but I wish I could have spent more. "

Andy, how had you not thought of that! Gotta give her credit for her stamina! :-P I am very much enjoying stalking you guys. Glad you have made it so far so safe. Loving ya both. I am looking forward to reading the Thailand installments

Ol xxx

  Ollie Jun 13, 2008 5:19 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.