Existing Member?

Andrex Travel the Globe; Andrew's side of things!

Sights, Heights and Spider bites!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 2 May 2008 | Views [1222] | Comments [8]

Unbelievably, more than two weeks have already gone by! This is our last night at Marc and Claire's for tomorrow we head to the Farm... Rob and Wayne's olive farm to be precise. Our plan is to stay there over the weekend then head to the hostels in Cape Town for our final (sniff!) week in SA.

The time has absolutely flown by because we have been really busy. We went to the V&A again on saturday and I managed to at last watch a band play on the stage there - The Ragdolls. Even Managed to win a fairly hefty beltbuckle by going to the front of the stage and dancing and headbanging away with Boll and one of the band's groupies.

Other highlights during the week were swimming in Blouberg beach's waters which were freezing! We were there to see the Big Swim from Robben Island, where 170 swimmers did the 7ks in 13 degree waters! Natalie De Toye won despite only having one leg, then jetted off to Beijing the next day to prepare for the olympics!  On monday we went to Cape Point. Of course the views and scenery are stunning, but what really made the day was when we went to the sanddunes. It was fairly surreal, like a lucid dream where the colours are all super-enhanced, and the sand was absolutely pure - till we jumped all over it!

We also finally met up with Rob on tuesday who took us to see a wonderful show, the Kramer-Peterson Songbook. The next day we went to the Grand West with Marc and Claire to see another show, a Queen tribute/review. It was really good fun, but the Grand West itself was just incredible, Sol Kersner is some kind of mad genius. He's created a casino without time, a whole world in itself where everything is always going, there are daylight, twilight and nighttime areas that all make you feel like you are outside and also very confused, and the whole place is absolutely massive.

Now for the excitement, I got bitten by a spider! It swelled up to the size of half a golf ball, but after using copious amounts of drawing ointment it is now on the mend. It is still tender, but at least half of my left arm isn't sore any more!

And finally, like the true manly masculine alpha males we are, Alex and I climbed Table Mountain today! We'd had been organising it for some time with Craig, one of Natasha's friends. He said today would be a good day and it was! We went with him, and his father who is a doctor so Julia and mum, you can stop worrying now. We didn't get mugged, and had a great time, but we did get very tired, and now I am a proper rooinek (and chest, and shoulders).

Tags: bite, cape town, spider, table mountain

 

Comments

1

At last!!!!! More news.

Sounds fantastic and were so glad you did the mountain.

Still so jealous, but you can keep swimming in Bloubergs 'it's so big' waters! Grand West sounds brill, where is it?

Were seing the Wardies tonight so can talk about you.

All our love!

  Colin May 3, 2008 2:50 AM

2

My liewe rooinekkie!!! So glad you climbed the mountain - did you get the cable car down? How are your legs? And as for the David Kramer, Taliep Pietersen show...I am green. Sounds wonderful. All in all sounds like you're having a brilliant time.

Contrary to what dad says, we ARE seeing the Wardies later tonight, (not were) and we'll be able to discuss your intrepid adventures.

Love you so much

xxxxxxxxx

  Edyth Miles May 3, 2008 2:56 AM

3

Wow - climbed Table Mt!!! how amazing. Not something I would ever want to do myself, but I am seriously impressed by anyone else achieving such a thing.

So pleased the spider bite is getting better. Hope you swatted the little B******.

Love n hugs

J

  Jenny May 3, 2008 4:13 AM

4

Your blog appears to be in another time zone, or on another planet maybe? I definitely didn't send that message at 4.13 am tomorrow!!!

Or, did I?........

8-)

  Jenny May 3, 2008 4:16 AM

5

Or will you? Hmmmm.....

  Edyth Miles May 3, 2008 8:35 AM

6

Me again. Can't wait to see the pictures of Boll headbanging. Was this at the nice big open air stage at the V&A? Thinking of you as you head off to Carpe Diem - have a brilliant time.

Love you

xxxxxxx

  Edyth Miles May 3, 2008 7:48 PM

7

Hurrah - more photos! How's the elbow?

  Colin May 18, 2008 3:07 AM

8

sounds amazing
your making me very jealous
xx

  richard harris Jun 5, 2008 5:01 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.