Existing Member?

UK working holiday

First Couple of Weeks

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 4 April 2012 | Views [360]

After leaving Australia late on a Thursday night the flights over here were pretty much uneventful. However I did learn that ladies in Qatar like to spit on the bathroom floor. I realised this once I had reached to front of the line. However I did not want to risk the walk to the toilet once I realised how much saliva was on the floor.

Stacey and I arrived at our accommodation near Kings Cross Station. The room was tiny (1m of space on once side of the bunk bed, no space at the ends) and the Eastern Europeans next door did not help us get over our jet lag. Especially when they came home drunk. Needless to say we were happy to leave and head to Putney.

The one night in Putney was so that we could use the hostel address to open a bank account. After a couple of walks around Putney and visiting McDonald's for wifi we headed to the cinema. This was to help defeat the jet lag that was still plaguing us. Watching "The Hunger Games" helped us to stay up past 8pm.

The next day we headed out to Bayswater to stay in a room with our own bathroom. Luxury! Over the next few days we did some classic tourist things. These included heading to the West End for the theatre ("Rock of Ages" - awesome!) and going on a hop on - hop off bus tour of London. Also included was a trip to the Tower of London to see the crown jewels and where King Henry VIII liked to help people remove their heads. We headed out to Stonehenge on the weekend. It was smaller than I thought but still awesome to see.

Also during this time I was given a short contract (1 week) at Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading. Stacey also had some success on the job front - one month receptionist job in Putney.

So that is where I'm up to at the moment. Will give an update soonish (once I have some news to update about!)

About bryleeg


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.