Existing Member?

Around the World in ___ Years

All Worth it in the End

BRAZIL | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [292]

While I was away from the garden it rained for a day or two so that meant it was time for planting. When I got to the garden on Tuesday all the beds had been replanted with the new seeds that were purchased with the fundraised money. It was exciting to see the beds redone and ready for another season. The fence is looking good but there are two junk cars at the top of the garden that are in the way of putting once section of the fence in. The gardeners are working on having someone move them so hopefully that happens in the near future. By Wednesday Tom and I had all paintings and words up on the wall. Ricardo is very pleased with it and tells us that people always stop to look at it since it really does brighten up the area. It seems like ages when I first got to the garden and the first thing I wanted to do was paint that wall. I remember telling them my idea and they were a defiant yes with no questions asked. I am glad it was completed in time and enjoyed by all. Thursday seemed like it came too soon and there wasn't really much to do. I was able to find and purchase new shoes for everyone and it was a fun moment to bring them to the garden. Ricardo put them on right away and was impressed by the steel toe and wanted to test it out. Dora put her old shoes in the box called them ugly and happily walked away to her dentist appointment and Antonio didn't want to put them on in fear that they would get dirty. For the rest of the day we just played some games like hit the can down with a rock and marbles. If there is one thing I have learned working there is the ability to make something out of nothing. Every raised bed in the garden is made from filled soda bottles that have been turned upside down and put into the ground. Not only is it a great recycled idea but it really works! Instead of a hammer they have a medal pipe that does just fine and there is no need for a proper hose when you have tubing. I think people need to take a moment once in a while to step back from their day to day life. In that time we can look at all we have and realize how well off we are and know that just because we might not have the latest version of a phone or a car should not matter. I think everyone needs to live a little more fragile so they can really enjoy what they have. I know once I get home I will defiantly be in a different mindset. Perfect timing since I will be starting my graduated adult life as soon as I land in Pittsburgh.

I am glad that even though Thursday was my last day of work I would be back in a week and a half to say goodbye. In the beginning of May I get to take Mark and Ann to the garden to introduce them to my new friends, which I am excited about. Tomorrow I head to the airport in the Morning to pick up Mark to start the vacation part of this Trip. This Saturday I am in Rio, next Saturday Machu Pichhu, 2 Saturdays from now in Iguaçu Falls, and in 3 weeks I will be home!

 

About brismalls


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.