Existing Member?

Sun is Shining...

The Bar, the Beetle, and the Beer

USA | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [1638]

Well, it’s been a while since we updated the blog…as everyone knows our trip to South East and South Asia has come to an end, and we are now living in Truckee, California (about 10 miles from Lake Tahoe).  Before heading west, we spent some quality time with my family in New York, some quality time with Camille’s family in Minnesota (including a short but sweet visit to her Aunt’s cabin), and very short visit with our friends Ashley, Thomas, and Paige in Park City Utah.

The Bar:  Well, there’s not really too much to say about the California Bar Exam – I studied for about 5 ½ weeks, took the exam at the end of July, and I’m now anxiously awaiting the results…it was hard, but I felt o.k. about it.

The Beetle:  Camille is working with a close friend/colleague this summer on a research grant – they are studying the affects of various factors that impact the ecology of the Tahoe Basin.  Science is not my strong point, but the gist of the project entails studying the affects of fire, disease, and insects on the overall health of the forests that surround Lake Tahoe.  I’ve posted some photos from one of Camille’s field sites in the Desolation Wilderness.

The Beer:  Camille and both like cold beer, especially after a long day of climbing or hiking, but “the beer” is really a metaphor for all things nice (i.e., the beer is an amazing climb, a breathtaking backpacking trip, a glorious bike ride, or a simply prepared meal shared with someone you love).  So, “the beer” for us has, of course, included many cold beers enjoyed with our friends in California.  We have also been climbing in and around Truckee with Sarah and Curtis (old friends from Davis) at the numerous climbing areas close to our house (Big Chief, Donner Summit, Twin Crags, Split Rock, etc.).  Camille did an amazing backpacking trip with Alli, Shannon, and Sara (also old friends from Davis) - they started on the west side of the Sierra and ended on the east side of the Sierra at Mt. Whitney (the highest point in the continental United States).  Sarah, Curtis, Hammer and I did a couple of scuba dives in Lake Tahoe last weekend.  And we hope to climb Mt. Conness in the High Sierra this weekend with Dave (old friend from Davis that met us in Thailand) and Seth (a very old friend from the AMC).

Other than that, Camille is busy working, and we are both in the process of looking for full time employment (crazy, huh? – we were kinda getting used to this traveling lifestyle).  So, from now on, the blog will mostly be a summary of our weekend adventures – hopefully it will allow us to stay in touch with all of family and friends that are not here in California.

Big LOVE from Tahoe…Brian and Camille :  )

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.