Existing Member?

Sun is Shining...

BANGKOK

THAILAND | Thursday, 15 March 2007 | Views [777] | Comments [2]

Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho

Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho

We've been in Bangkok for a about four days and have seen a fair amount of the city.  We've been to a few Wats (Buddhist temples), but we have mainly been checking out the contemporary parts of the city.  Bangkok really reminds us of New York City - there is a ton of things to see and do, and our time here has been speeding by.  Of course they don't sell steamed pork buns at the 7-11s in New York!

We have done a ton of walking, and also get around the city via "tuk tuks" (almost like motorized bicycle taxis), regular taxis, and river boat taxis.  The tuk tuks are pretty fun because they are the most novel, but for long rides they can be a bit hectic - the pollution is pretty grim and you are pretty exposed next to the large buses and cruising SUVs.

We spent most of yesterday checking out China Town (which was VERY much like China Town in NYC) and at a large shopping area called "MBK."  There were a decent amount of tourists there, but it was mostly young Thai people shopping, eating, and hanging out.  We saw Thai film called Body Guard 2 - it had English subtitles.  The film was an action/comedy and I think some of the humor was lost on us - nonetheless it was an interesting cultural experience.

We also took a cooking class that was excellent. We learned how to make sticky rice and mango (a Thai dessert staple), chicken satay with a peanut sauce and relish sauce, an excellent shrimp salad, and chicken with cashews and hot peppers.  Half of the battle is obtaining the proper ingredients, but we think that most Asian markets in/near big cities in the US should have what we need.

Finally, a parting note about the King - Thai people love their King.  We were completely taken by the fact the nearly half the city was wearing yellow last Monday - when we inquired, we learned that everyone wears yellow on Mondays for the King.  We have yet to meet a Thai that does not have great things to say about him - our driver to Malaysia, travel agents, taxi drivers, and nearly every other Thai that we have spoken with - there was even a moment when the entire audience at the movie theater had to stand and show their respect for the King (we, of course, also stood to show our respect).

We are off to Nepal tomorrow!!!

Sending BIG LOVE to everyone from Bangkok!

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hello friends!
Glad to hear you are having a fantastic time, we sure do miss you guys in the states. Can't wait for you to cook Thai food for us when you get back. Have a safe trip to Nepal!
Lots of love

  Rebecca Mar 16, 2007 2:54 AM

2

Bangkok looks wonderful. Sorry to hear you both got sick, but glad to hear you feel better now. I agree with Amy, you'll have to try out those new recipes on us when your back in MN. I love your pictures. Keep sending them. You guys are so fortunate to be able to experience what you are. Love you both and stay safe.
xxx000xxx, mom and dad Jensen

  Dave & Pat Mar 16, 2007 10:31 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.