Existing Member?

Discovering myself....

Leopards and much more....

USA | Saturday, 20 December 2008 | Views [698] | Comments [2]

Tuesday Dec 16:

Today was another day of breakfast, chores, taking care of the kids and wrapping presents J That is one thing in here, everything is plan and is the same routine everyday….which is good for the little ones, not so good for us. Still night comes and we are dead tired.

This evening was a little more exciting that our regular evenings. Jessie is leaving tomorrow, so India has invited all the volunteers to her house for dinner. We all got dressed up, even put on make up…it was so nice to feel pretty again. We had cocktails in India’s veranda, I had two glasses of African red wine….mmmmm!!! very good!

Dinner was divine, we had steak, potatoes, vegetables and a mango salsa that was to die for…I got the recipe.

That night India warned us about a couple of leopards that are roaming around the orphanage. One of them jumped on the roof of her house and scared the shit out of her and her two dogs. Her dogs were so afraid that they started to go around in circles.

So, the new rule is not to be alone in the dark outside. We have to wait for one of the Massai warriors to walk us to our houses. The Massai warriors are very nice and respectful, they roam around at night with their spears watching out for elephants, leopards, buffalos.. etc.

That night as you can imagine I did not sleep well, every noise in the roof  was freaking me out, and believe me we have many animals in our roofs from bats, to rats and birds that make a very awful noise at night. That night we were Ok, no leopard on our roof, but the next night….HOLY SHIT!!! I was so scared the damn leopard was on my roof. That night Shanell took Tylenol PM and she was completely out…..I was just praying that the roof was built correctly and strong enough…..what a night, it lasted around 15 minutes and then he jumped off our roof, I went to the window to see if I could see him, but no luck it was too dark. It is so cool!!!! I don’t have to worry about robbers, rappers or killers…..my worries here are buffalos, elephants and large cats…OH! and hyenas. One got tangled in our fence two weeks ago but she managed to escape before the Massai came to kill her.

All for now,

Besos xoxoxo

 

Wednesday  12/17

Today we said good bye to Jessie. We did our chores, played and wrapped etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. I went for a 10 mile hike with the secondary girls that come to the orphanage on their vacation time from school. India pays for all of them to go to secondary school with the help of sponsors. Secondary school is from grades 7 to 12. The government pays from grades 1 to 6, after that the parents are responsible to pay for the remainder of the education. Around $300 to $400 per year. The schools are far away so the kids live in the school and they come home on the holidays. The sad part is that the average person here makes around $100 to $200 per year. Teachers make $30 to $40 a month, and that is consider very good. The average family has 6 to 8 kids, so it is impossible to send out kids to secondary school. Most of the kids in the surrounding villages of the orphanage are the coffee pickers, so it is better for them to send the kids off to work on the field. Before India got here, the attendance in the elementary school was around 10 percent. Out of 400 students, only 30 to 40 will go to school. When India got here she took over the lunch program and provided the kids rice and beans, maize, fruits and vegetables. The attendance went up to 99 percent. Amazing!! This will be the only meal that these kids will have for the day. It was great for the parents to send off the kids to school because that meant one mouth lest to feed.

When we walk out of the orphanage gates we are amongst the poorest region in all Tazania due to its isolation, the only means of work is coffee picking. Production of coffee has drooped but the population continues to grow, without jobs, food, health care. It is heart breaking to see, just 30 feet from us. Our kids are royalty compared to the surrounding village kids. India has done as much as possible to help the whole community, but it is impossible to help everyone. She has re-built 3 of the 6 classrooms in the elementary school, provides teachers that come here and volunteer for a year or longer, provides the hot lunch and vitamins for every kid and twice a month runs a clinic for them. She is an Angel!!!

 

All for now,

Besos xoxoox

 

Thursday 12/18

Nothing new, our routine continues to be the same. Just loving the kids and taking care of them.

I do miss Johnny and C-rod so much that my heart aches every night I go to bed without seeing them. I borrowed a cell phone from one of the other volunteer and made a call home. It was so nice to hear their voices…OH my GOD!! I was in tears after I hung up the phone. I’m so in love with my family! Johnny is the best man in this universe. I have been blessed with a husband that is so unselfish and so giving, that is willing to stay home with C-rod for a whole month, while me and Shanell are in here. He has lots of work and then he comes home and takes care of my baby. Johnny you are AMAZING!!!

I thank God every day for putting you in my life. I’m the luckiest woman in this world.

I promise to love you and take care of you until the end of my life…forever yours,

Brenda!!!

 

Friday 12/19

Today the village soccer team “Kiran” had their final game. The orphanage provided the transportation. Two trucks full of people, around 30 on each of them, the majority of the people are just hanging out of the truck holding to another and for dear life, it is so funny to see. The team came tied, so they will have to play another game…not sure when. I was not able to go to the game, but two of the other volunteers that have been here for over a year went with the guys. They tell us that the majority of the time, the loosing team gets so mad that they run and chase the umpire and beat him up L

 

More facts about the culture here:

1)Boys and grown men hold hands with each other

and it does not mean anything other than they are best friends or family members

 

2) A baby born left handed is consider a sign of the devil, so at very early stage they make the babies use their right hand. Another reason is that using the left hand here to eat or shake someone’s hand is consider rude and disgusting. Left hands is only use to clean yourself after you use the bathroom…funny

 

3) Albinos in Africa are very rare, but they are a few. Their skin is believe to be magic.

Albinos in here are in danger of kidnapping. The cut off their skin, or burn their skin for magic purposes. We have a little girl that is albino. She is from the village in front of us, every time I go for a walk I see her. It is very unnerving and surreal to see her among all of her siblings and other village kids. They are all black and she looks like snow…her face and body is full of scars, it breaks my heart to look into her face. But, it seems that the tribe sees her as just another member of the tribe. I saw her yesterday with a bucket full of water on her head walking to the village with another girl. She looks like she is 9 or 10 years old.

 

4) Teachers beat the students with a stick if they don’t know the material  or the answer to a question ( India put a stop to that when she got to school, at least at our school)

 

5) At graduation the give a prize to the best student and to the worst student of the class

6) Aids is cured by having sex with a virgin.

7) It is very rude to not greet or acknowledge every single person that you come into contact with. You have to say “Shikamoo”(not moo but a long o sound) to every person that is older than you (means I respect you)

 

8) When you see someone working you need to say “Pole Sana” (I’m sorry for your work)

It is so sad to witness and really hard to understand their reasons for these believes.

Every one in here is trying to help and to break down the ignorance. The best weapon for this problem is education.

Tags: leopards and more

Comments

1

Brenda and Shanell,
It sounds absolutely fascinating. I can't wait to hear everything when you girls get home. We miss you both. Stay safe and God bless you.
Love...Lori

  Lori Grundler Dec 22, 2008 5:51 AM

2

Brenda & Shanell,
I'm only now finally getting caught up on your postings. Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I can't wait to see all the pictures when you return. I already get a sense from your postings about how that country and the people will linger with you forever. I miss you and love you!
Hale

  Hale Richardson Dec 23, 2008 8:08 AM

About brenda-liz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.