Existing Member?

Discovering myself....

Our Environment :)

USA | Wednesday, 17 December 2008 | Views [630]

 

I just finished breakfast. Today I got to sleep until 7:30, Shanell had breakfast duty in our house. She was up by 6:30 AM and started her duties of taking care of the kids, its beautiful to see he dedication. She did not complained once, she is really loving it here. We are also celebrating her acceptance to the University of San Diego. One of the volunteers made a congratulations sign for her, she was really surprised.

Yesterday, I took 7 kids to a walk to the old house where India used to live with the first kids. The kids were so cute, climbing trees, picking up flowers, picking guavas from the trees. It was a beautiful place. I was in awe to see 20 to 30 feet tall plumeria tress surrounding the house, the aroma of the flowers, and all the flowers on the ground made a beautiful perfumed carpet. After lunch the kids had their shores and then a nap. I took the down time to read, I'm actually really into "One Hundred Years of Solitude" I can't put the book down :)

The weather here is beautiful, in the 80's and with a constant breeze. The grounds consist of some grass and a rich red dirt. On our first day we got rid of our boots and tennis shoes. Sarah let us borrow flip flops from their donation container. So we are in flip flops all day long. Our feet get so dirty, at night at bath time, we need to scrub for a good 10 minutes to get rid off the dirt. I have never been so dirty in my life. It is impossible to stay clean when all the kids are climbing up on you, hugging you or playing basketball in the gym where shoes are not allowed :) Wait that you see the pictures.

The houses are built of  concrete and the roof are aluminum panels, so when it rains a little or the critters(rats, bats, birds, AND more rats) walk on the roof it really sounds louder and bigger than it really is. It is amazing how humans adjust to their environments. On our first couple of days Shanell and I were freaked out about the roaches that seems to co-live with everyone in here. They are the really cute little ones, we were having our first dinner here and I saw something walking on top our dinner table, Shanell was frozen with horror and she gave me the look of disgust, our host Sara, just wiped it off the table and continue with her dinner. Now were are doing the same, just wiping them off our table, counters and continuing with our work :) AMAZING.!! They are part of our household :)

Today Jessie leaves for America. She is a volunteer-teacher, that has been here for a year and a half. It is going to be really hard for the kids and for the other long term volunteers to see her go. She is only 23 years old and an amazing young woman. Ok , got to go I have exceeded my computer time.

 

See you tomorrow!

Tags: rats, roaches..oh my!!!

About brenda-liz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.