Existing Member?

Gary and Karen Lawrence

Rome

ITALY | Tuesday, 22 October 2013 | Views [440]

Wow, has it only been 4 days since we left? We seemed to have packed so much in, and today was no exception.  We went our separate ways today. Gaz had wonderful day exploring Rome on the 'hop on hop off' tourist bus. The weather has been perfect and Gaz really enjoyed the double decker bus tour. Today was really about getting our bearings. We had no idea where north or south was and each time we went back to our hotel we went a different way, which led to even more confusion! So finally we have some idea where we are and how we get home! 

I went to the conference today. I caught a taxi there because I had no idea where it was from our hotel. Thank goodness too,  as it was at least 6 km away!  The university  is on the other side of the river and all up hill. Gorgeous views over the Vatican, but would have been hard work walking!! I was the only Australian at the conference and there are only 2 other nurses as the conference is a multi academic conference. It has been a wonderful day listening to other academic's research. Today I presented the findings from a small research that a colleague and I did a few years ago on introducing simulated learning into the bachelor of nursing. It was on the management perspective, that is what we did to make it work and how we have modified our original plans to ensure its sustainability. 

I caught a taxi back to the Hotel and caught up with Gaz, who had only just returned after his day of sight seeing. We headed out again for our adventures. From our Hotel we went to the Spanish steps. We were lucky to arrive at the top of the steps, so we were able to take photos and then walk DOWN the many stairs to the bottom. Once we reached the bottom, we just headed further south towards the trevi fountains. There were hundreds of people there when we arrived. So different to 27 years ago! I can't get over the volume of people traveling now. Anyway, we both threw in some coins (apparently it means you will return) and then we moved to the back of the crowd where I spotted a gelati shop! yum! I had a lemon/lime and Gaz had a hazelnut. Oh they were yummy!

once we had our gelati, we headed towards the Piazza della repubblica. To do this we had to walk past Quirinal Palace, which is an historic building and the current official residence of the President of the Italian Republic. It is located on the Quirinal Hill, the highest of the seven hills of Rome. Of course we didn't realise this until after we had walked by and wondered why all the police and guards were there!! From the palace we kept walking and we came across a ristorrante that had comfortable looking outdoor seats. We had been walking now for 3 hours so they looked really good! We stopped and had a Peroni (beer) and après spritzer (Champagne and pomegranate juice). Well,  they were delicious so we had another! We only had a few blocks to walk back to our Hotel, thank goodness,

Time for another well earned sleep. Tomorrow is the Vatican City! Looking forward to that.  Night all xxxxx 

About boznkaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.