Existing Member?

Boundless Mind

Java Beaches

INDONESIA | Saturday, 25 April 2015 | Views [269] | Scholarship Entry

I know i never travel far in my life before. Well, i even haven’t went to somewhere outside Java island.....yet. The furthest place that i ever visited is the eastest city in Java island, called Banyuwangi. Banyuwangi, like any other natural places in Indonesia has many beaches and cultural object. The interest thing of Banyuwangi, is that the legend of the name Banyuwangi itself or in english Banyuwangi is a word from ancient java word from Banyu- water, and Wangi- fragrant. The legend start long long time ago when Banyuwangi was ruled by king and queen. Once upon a time, king has to go through journey for a long time and left the queen in their kingdom. After years has gone by and the king cameback, somehow he suspected his wife cheated on him. The queen in other hand, cannot accept the condition of being accused, she then tried to kill herself in a river. But before she decided to killed herself, she swore if the water of the river smells bad when she dumped her body it means that she cheated, but if it isn’t than she didn’t cheated. Finally, after she killed herself in a river, apparently the water of the river didn’t smell bad, in fact the water smells fragrant. Because of the devastated of her wife, the king and their people named the city after Banyuwangi to honor the queen.
I’m starting my journey to Banyuwangi by train from my current city Malang approximately 7 hours and the first place i visit is Greenbay. There is two ways to reach Greenbay, by small boat that going through oceans or tracking over the hill. Because of my unability to swim if by any chance the boat sink, so i picked tracking going through the hill. It’s exhausting i’ll tell you. And because i didn’t do cardio enough, i took 5 minutes break whenever we went 10 minutes. When i reached the bay, it all paid. The view is breathtaking, the color of the water is green- blue almost like the Dreamland in beach but secluded. The sand is white, and incredibly hot when my feet touched it. There is not much of trees there, so we’re basically got too exposed by the sun. You can smell the salty water because the heat and not much of people around. By the time i got there, there only two groups of people. My group and another group that contain 6-8 guys. Pretty much of secluded right?
Finished from there, i went home at night and that’s what treasure feels for me.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About boundlessmind


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.