Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

Bhiru's 'fruit salad'.....

INDIA | Saturday, 14 July 2012 | Views [733]

Yes - the view of the front windscreen of Bhiru's jeep that traverses mountain roads on route to Kurkia...

Yes - the view of the front windscreen of Bhiru's jeep that traverses mountain roads on route to Kurkia...

This journey was sometimes as clear as Biru's front windscreen (see photo). As time marched on the clarity improved. A kaleidoscope of experiences. The Solar Home Lighting Project and Primary School education at peAk's Library morphed from being mildly problematic to bloom into a success story. All looked rosy until the time came to photo uploading and blog site entries ....

Lack of internet connectivity in the Himalayas means our journal entries are haphazard often written on scrap paper to be transferred to a computer entry at a later date. However, even the best intentions can be thwarted with notebooks and scraps of paper lost. Angst compounded by an Almora film processing studio -  shock/horror we still do our photos the 'old fashioned way' - that managed to inadvertently destroy a few roles of film. This tested my Indian ethos of 'patience' to the max, leaving me pacing the hotel room for some time afterwards (thinking non violent thoughts!!) as the realisation that all our photos of school, doctoring and random shots were casualties of a processing war that had its antecedents in the great 'blue spots on negatives' episode of 2011. That is a whole other story. Mental note: buy a digital camera.

Alas, having said that, we are currently in Australia and part of our journey will gently unfold in the next few weeks. 

Bonnie

peAk

 

Tags: india, kumaon himalaya, uttarakhand

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.