Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

The archaeological erosion of Delhi

INDIA | Wednesday, 18 March 2009 | Views [621]

The train from Bharatpur to Delhi was punctuated by a troupe of Hijra's extorting rupees from passengers, children performing acrobatic feats, beggars and the uniquely Indian call of "paaannniii bottle", "omlat" & "chai" resonated through the carriage. Around four hours later (highly dependent on which train you catch) we arrived in Delhi.

Delhi has a two and a half thousand year old history and the legacy of archaeological monuments are part of the charm. Yet, over the years monuments have been increasingly encroached upon by illegal shops and  dwellings or 'bastardized' by the "unsympathetical restoration or reconstruction of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)". Willain Dalrymple notes: "according to the historian Parva Varma the majority of buildings recorded in his book Mansions of Dust only ten years ago no longer exist" (William Dalrymple, The Last Mughal, Penguin 2007, p:25).

This is the case all over India, but it seems the disappearance or encroachment of many magnificent buildings and monuments continues unabated at a heightened pace in Delhi. In the future will Delhi'ites lament the loss of history? In the words of an Indian friend "what to do?"

Our break has evaporated into wonderous memories and PEAK is about to undertake an educational resource project for the schools of Khati and Jatoli (Kumaon Himalaya). It is time to leave this thriving metropolis as we have over seventy children holding us emotional ransom to commence the new school year....

Bonnie

PEAK

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.