Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

The riotous festival of HOLI

INDIA | Monday, 16 March 2009 | Views [632]

11.3.2009

The riotous festival of colour is upon us and the streets are awash with water and gulal (a little like coloured powder paint). Holi (also known as Vasant Utsav) occurs on the full moon in Feb/March each year. This joyous day marks the onset of Spring and the playing of Holi is associated with the legends of Lord Krishna and considered an imitation of his play with his wives and cowherds.

Some of the joys of Holi include the ability to throw copious amounts of water and gulal at friends/family/complete strangers, eat foods like sweet gujhas, mouth watering dahi bhavas and drink bhang (for the uninitiated - leaves of the cannibas plant)lassi. While we didn't partake in the latter, the newspapers were awash with recipes for bhang lassi and phakoras especialy for the day. Theoretically charas and ganga are banned in India but bhang is legally available. Alcohol also flows freely and some people call Holi the "great Hindu drinking binge"!

Having 'played Holi' in Delhi prior (and suffered the consequences) I learnt to follow the lead of Indian women who tend not to go out onto the street. The majority of women in Delhi celebrate at home or on rooftops, well away from marauding drunken males. This year we were adequatley armed with quantities of water filled balloons and strategically placed ourselves in a portico at our hotel to take some well aimed shots at the aformentioned males below!! Plus, we had the added advantage of being able to 'lob' them at other kid filled rooftops.

At 2pm the magic ceasefire occurs and the population of Delhi commences the big 'clean up' (now you try getting bright coloured paint off yourself when covered from head to foot!!) clothes washing, rooftop cleaning, eating sumptious lunches and downing that last bhang lassi. This is the time when it is abnormally quiet and a rare occassion for  pedestrians to reclaim the streets. A highlight of the day was walking around in the late afternoon zephyr, traffic free, witnessing the great multi-coloured Holi aftermath (think: multicoloured man, streets and vehicles) - an absolute treat!

Bonnie

PEAK

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.