Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

To the world beyond the valley.

INDIA | Thursday, 12 March 2009 | Views [594]

25.02.2009

In the last few weeks six casualties have resulted from an errant leopard in the Bageshwar district who has developed a penchant for human flesh. One woman is currently in Almora hospital with deep gouge marks to her entire body having survived being mauled. The human/animal conflict is intensifying in the region in line with the rate of habitat loss. The sad reality is that the landscape is either burnt in the mistaken belief of superior grass regeneration or increased resource extraction has exacerbated the issue.

The wheat and barley crops continue to look dismally small, ploughing of the fallow fields for the alu (potato) crop has begun and the vibrant yellow of flowering mustard make the village look picture perfect. I'm not sure that there will be a brilliant display of Rhododendron flowers for visiting tourists to the glaciers this year as most flowered two months ago. The warm winter witnessed many plants bloom abnormally early.

It is wonderful living in a small village, however occassionally you feel claustraphobic and constant demands take there toll, this is the time you feel totally 'taxed'. This is one of those times....  With the kids in the middle of exams and with the wonderful festival of Holi approaching we have decided to go on a spot of 'dental toursim' to Delhi, procure health education materials for village use and generally have a two week break. In effect venture from the valley to the wide world beyond, to the other India.

Bonnie

PEAK

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.