Existing Member?

People's Environmental Awareness - Khati (PEAK) Follow PEAK with the financial assistance of World Nomads on the path to delivering educational, water supplies & solar home lighting systems to Kumaon villages....

peAk - the busy year so far.....

INDIA | Thursday, 13 March 2014 | Views [630]

This view is a five minute walk from the peAk building  and looks toward  Pindari valley.

This view is a five minute walk from the peAk building and looks toward Pindari valley.

The World Nomads 'Footprints' program provided finances for peAk's latest educational resource project which was rolled out gradually over the end of 2013 into 2014. PeAk would like to thank both World Nomads and  travelling community for enabling us to provide this area with much needed educational resources. More on this highly successful project - that for once had 'zero hitches' - later....

peAk has had a busy year with work being engaging, challenging rewarding - please forgive the cliches - and time consuming. So much so that due to time constraints leaving our immediate area has been a rare occurance. The computer terminal is a couple of  hundred kilometres from work, so our opportunities to view email, do blog sites, or generally catch up on news is limited. Historically, we had a couple of hour window in the mornings where we could tune in our shortwave radio to dulcet tones on the BBC informing us of the latest global calamity, that was before the airwaves were dominated by a multitude of Chinese stations effectively 'booting' BBC off their normal frequency. This would all be good if our Mandarin and other Chinese dialects were up to scratch! Alas, here I am, a rare foray to a computer....

The last year has seen peAk engaged in a variety of projects with ongoing teaching in the 'library' throughout the entire winter season, provision of classroom resources for Khati and Jatoli, solar home lighting monitoring and 'chula' (stove) trials. The days fly by and the nights are spent fireside with villagers - talking, eating, drinking cups of tea & playing games. Though the nightly culture is changing since the introduction of television and Indian 'soapies' which are now much anticipated nightly affairs from Monday - Friday with Saturday and Sunday being non tele watching nights. "No serials to watch - no television to watch"!

There is much, much more to say on PeAk's work and village life but that will have to wait until later.....

Bonnie 

peAk Project Co-ordinator

Tags: education, khati, kumaon himalaya, library, peak

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.