Existing Member?

CHINA 3 Months In China, March-June 2008

On Disability

CHINA | Friday, 25 April 2008 | Views [340]

Disabled Hero Saves Woman From Accident

Liu Shuzhen, a woman from Hunan province, accidentally fell into a river in Beijing's Haidian district on Saturday morning while sitting there reading a book.

Seeing her struggling for survival in the 2-m deep water, Liu Xuejun, a disabled man riding a bicycle along the riverbank, jumped into the water and saved her life.

After carrying her out of the water, the disabled man, in his 50s, fainted due to a wound he received while in the water and had to be rushed to a hospital where he recovered soon.

It was his 12th time rescuing someone in need.  Media spoke highly of his heroism.

--Beijing Times, April 25, 2008

Now I don't understand the meaning of "disabled" in English or Chinese.

Superstitious Man Finally Sees Light of Day

A Chinese saying says, "A person can expect good luck if his left eyelid twitches, but will suffer if his right eyelid twitches."

Chen, a superstitious resident of Wuhan's Xinzhou district, in Hubei province, is a firm believer in this piece of wisdom.

Chen, 36, refused to go to work for several days after his right eyelid twitched last week.

Chen would only leave his home on Monday after his wife accompanied him to see an eye doctor.

Doctors cured the condition.

--Wuhan Evening News, April 25, 2008

Good God!  Why is this man working?  His eyelid twitched!  What does it take to get on disability in this country?!

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.