Existing Member?

CHINA 3 Months In China, March-June 2008

The Dogs of Ningxia

CHINA | Friday, 2 May 2008 | Views [319]

I was walking the streets of Yinchuan (Ningxia P.) and the sight of a full-grown Husky dog caught my eye.  The couple who just bought him were trying to get him to join them on their moped, and it was a perfectly normal thing to see 2 people and a Husky riding a moped.

I had stumbled upon a marketplace for dogs--purebreds--and was wondering if pure-breds are tastier than mutts.  Or if eating a purebred was a silly statusism--a disease which sometimes appears to be the entirety of American culture.

"This is just a pet market," I told myself.  "Here are some fish for sale--too small to eat.  Aren't they?  These caged birds scarcely have any meat on them.  They are for singing--aren't they?  And all these turtles--they are first-pets for kids--aren't they?  Aren't they?"

I was reassured by a store that sold dog food, but then we fatten cows before we eat them, don't we?  And there was that bucket of guts I passed on the way in.

"Different countries, different customs," as Peachie says in Kipling's The Man Who Would Be King.

And, as Danny likes to say in same: "God's Holy Trousers."

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.