Existing Member?

Our travels

Singapore and Kuala Lumpur

MALAYSIA | Friday, 5 December 2008 | Views [454] | Comments [1]

Our trip has begun with a gentle introduction to Asia with a few days at my brother's apartment in Singapore (although a bout of sickness and diarrhea within 24 hours of landing slightly marred the experience - 90% humidity does not provide great conditions for such an illness). Thankfully, that's now passed!

We have already had two separate incidents of strangers asking to be photographed with Bob - as expected his unnatural height is something of an attraction here.  And bizarrely, this afternoon two girls asked if they could be photographed with the two of us - and we were sitting down, so not because of Bob's height.  Bob is convinced it's because  they thought we were famous - I think it's because we look a little odd...

One of the highlights of the trip so far was attending a 'wrap' party for some unspecified Singaporean film (no, I don't quite understand how except that one of the people involved in the film is a friend of my sister-in-law).  It was at a great old colonial house, complete with swimming pool and tennis courts, in a rather wealthy area of Singapore (the neighbours had a cricket pitch in the garden - something Bob has undoubtedly dreamt about for years!)

We headed up to Kuala Lumpur on Weds (3 Dec) by coach and are staying in a great little hostel which is costing us a grand total of 12.50 GBP per night for an ensuite room with air con, and breakfast (this morning's was particularly good - curry and pancake plus fruit and toast and honey).

We went to the bird park yesterday (the world's largest undercover aviary no less) and I mistakenly paid to feed the parrots.  Unsurprisingly it ended in tears (my tears not the birds') when a parrot landed on my head and made a deposit.  Bob chivalrously cleaned it out of my hair... which was nice.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for photos as we're brought the wrong cable to download them - so we're hoping to buy one over the next couple of days. 

We're heading back to Singapore on Sunday for our flight to Borneo - still scared of the leeches...

Comments

1

Sounds like you are having a great time. I hear bird poo is good for the scalp so i hope you did not wipe too much off. Hope you have a great time in Borneo. Ju, Dom and Lily

  Julia Hutchinson Dec 9, 2008 6:12 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.