Existing Member?

Bob & Claire's Travels

November 2

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 2 November 2012 | Views [260] | Comments [1]

After a remarkably smooth trip, on the heels of a flight cancellation only hours before departure, we are now comfortably situated at the Shakespeare Pub and Hotel (top floor) in the heart of Auckland, NZ.  We got in today at 6:30am, cleared customs and headed directly for the bike shop which was only a mile from the airport.  They were great, put our seats and pedals on the bikes and set them up for us,  and then one of the guys drove us, our luggage and bikes to our downtown hotel.  We checked in and headed right back out for a latte and a one hour bus tour of the city.  Not much on the schedule for the rest of today except fish and chips in the pub downstairs with ale to wash it down.  Tomorrow we will explore Auckland and then Sunday AM board a bus to Opotiki where we will stay overnight before embarking on our 6 day like trip around the East Cape of the North Island.

Initial impressions--Kiwis are warm and welcoming, Auckland makes Montreal seem flat, Melatonin and Ambien are the answer to a 13 hour flisht in coach seats, and crossing streets in countries where vehicles travel on the left is the most dangerous thing I have ever done.  A typical crossing involves two near death experiences:  the first when I look right and step into traffic from the left and the second when I reach the median, look left and step into traffic from the right.  Wish us luck trying to safely ride bicycles 300 miles on the left side of the road!

Bob

 

Comments

1

So glad to hear your trip went well! Fish & chips and ale to wash them down in Auckland sounds fantastic! Keep the updates coming!

  Eli Nov 3, 2012 10:48 AM

About bob-claire


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.