Existing Member?

My Kenyan Adventure!

Day 15 Monday 16th August 2010

KENYA | Monday, 16 August 2010 | Views [314]

Today at the nest was so hectic! There was only one teacher there and she was teaching reading. This was the first time Sarah and I actually realised how much we could offer the teacher to enhance the children's education...but the amount of help needed was vast and the fact that no one had asked us for any ideas or help yet made us feel very anxious and slightly uncomfortable as we want to help them so so much but would have to do so very sensitively. The reading class was over 30 children sat outside on the pavement whilst one child was stood up at the front with the teacher reading a book that was 3 levels too hard for her age/reading ability. At first we thought this was due to lack of resources but this was not the case as the stock cupboard was full with resources!! We couldn't believe how much they had got! However, they seemed scard of using them as they feared there would be nothing left after it had been used...so...they just never touched it. This was a sad concept to understand but I could appreciate why they did that. We just want to help so much and i believe with a little introduction from african impact to explain why we are here and that we are teachers back at home...this might break the ic with the teachers and maybe allow them the opportunity to ask for advice. Because at the minute we are unsure whether they seek our help or not.

In the afternoon we did our first session of the drama workshop. True to kenyan timing it ran late because the staff weren't informed we were coming, although we had had a meeting on friday with their boss. We played lots of drama games to get the children used to feeling silly and the majority engaged with the workshop very well! I have already spotted one potential hollywood actor in the group already!!! He is amazing at facial expression!

All in all, the hectic day at the nest (with 30 children practically crying all morning) it put us in a down mood as we felt almost hopeless. I suppose african impact were right in saying that we are only able to make very tiny changes to eventually make the biggest difference. It would be impossible to make a drastic change in their teaching style and way of learning...the teachers just need BG training!!!!

Anyway must go now as I am very very tired. Night night xx

About blondeburtie123


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.