Existing Member?

My Kenyan Adventure!

Day 10 Wednesday 11th August 2010

KENYA | Wednesday, 11 August 2010 | Views [279]

Today we were not going to our usual projects but we were to go to the local feeding program in the village of Limuru for the destitute and the elderly. I was very open minded and excited to go to this today as I had seen pictures from past volunteers doing this. It was very cold and slightly misty as we arrived at the building...it had such a beautiful view of the tea plantations and buildings in the village. We stepped into what looked like a wooden, empty warehouse with a giant 'red cross' sign on the wall. There was a very enthusiastic old lady there who was in charge and who personally funded the whole program. She explained she was a white kenyan, she had a very good sense of humour and great people skills, and she went on to explain that she started this feeding program over 15 years ago with her own money,,,she gets no funding at all from anyone or any company (but i think african impact volunteer money does go towards it to help her keep it going). She said it costs over 2000 pounds each month to buy in the necessities which were maize and beans, flour, matches, salt, butter, cooking fat, 2 pieces of newspaper sheets either for lighting fires or for toilet, loaf of bread, 20 KSH for them to buy vegetables at the market and paraffin for their house light. Each person got one of each form the list and they wear a label around their neck to show they are registered to receive the goods and some had more than one ticket round their neck if they were collecting for other sick relatives. I was impressed how organised it all was as the people had to make an 'orderly' queue, although many were pushing and shoving... but i wouldnt blame them...they were all starving. 

Before the food was handed out and queues were formed, the lady made a speech as she explained we had some special visitors from england...It was an aunty and uncle who ahd lost their niece in a car accident as she was driving to Heathrow to come out here to africa to give out bed blankets to the elderly...they were upset but the lady explained that they have completed their niece's journey and do what she wished to happen right before she died...The whole room raised their hands and were shouting 'Asante Sana' which meant thank you and they were clapping and i could genuinely see how grateful they were just through their eyes and facial expressions...this speech was quite moving.

The queues formed and i began to give out match boxes and newspaper sheets...I did this with a smile and spoke basic swahili with the locals...it was very hectic as I had to count how many tickets they had round their neck as well as give out the right amount. One girl from the african impact team burst out crying...i think the initial experience overwhelmed her but I didnt want to cry...I felt positive for some reason...i was expecting myself to cry or feel upset but the fact that I felt i was doing something so positive and helpful for all the people...the whole experience became rather uplifting!

However, what I began to notice, along with what the old lady had said, was that many of the younger people in the queue who were claiming they were picking up the goods for their sick grandmother etc but some were not so genuine and were taking advantage of the program. A part of me felt angry about the lies but then again I thought how desperate everybody is in the local community and if they could get their hands on food and necessities...then they will! The hard thing was, there was no way of judging who was genuine and who wasnt, the old lady said "what can I do, I cant turn them away". I completely admired her work and dedication to the elderly in the community...i learned alot from her spirit.

It was evident how there wasn't enough bed blankets for everyone. So the old lady eventually had to limit who she gave them to, that being only the very weak and needy. However, it became uncomfortable when women in their late 50s were asking for blankets and we tried to explain that they were for the elderly only. Some came across rude but I think it was jsut their desperation...they wouldn't take no for an answer.

Towards the end of the program there was a very old lady who could hardly walk who was sat in the corner of the room. I was told she needed a blanket and so i picked one up and made my way over to her. She hadn't noticed what I had in my hand but said hello and smiled. As soon as i handed her the blanket she couldnt believe her eyes. She raised her hands and had tears in her eyes "for me? for me?" she said and I said yes! She hugged me so tightly and kept saying thank you thank you and this was the first personal contact I had had with the locals...and as I walked away I could see her holding out the blanket in the packet, smiling at it. I cried. My emotions just took over. I think it was the fact that for the first time I had personal contact with the local...even though I had been handing out goods all morning, there was still that superficial distance, they went along the line and I would never speak or see them again. But I actually felt and understood how appreciative and how much this blanket would help keep the old lady warm. I didn't know what came over me but that feeling and the overall experience would stay with me for a very very long time. 

The food was rapidly running out but the queues outside were getting bigger. People had walked for miles and miles just to get to the program as this would be their only source of food. It was hard to see the old lady turn people away...their faces were looking through the windows desperately hoping to get into the building to get some food. We did split up the left overs and gave what was left to the elderly left outside...but where does it all end? I suppose the lady who funds the program herself has to put a stop at some point...there will always be hungry people at the door.

What did stick in my memory was the conversation I had with the lady regarding the red cross. She said the red cross had told her to either get out of the building or pay rent!! This is the charity!? She told them that she was basically doing THEIR job and that she would never pay rent to do that. Good on her! I couldn't believe red cross said that!

In the afternoon we went to LCC again but as it was so cold the children were huddled up inside and were watching tv...hunny i shrunk the kids was on!!! haha I had a great time and the kids loved it! So this afternoon..there wasn't much for us to do!

Tonight after tea we went gorilla hunting in the forests of brackenhurst...but it was pitch black...which made it very hard to spot them...but it was a funny experience!!! We shall go and find them one day next week :)

All in all, I learned so much from the feeding program and the experience will stay with me for a very long time!!!

About blondeburtie123


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.