Existing Member?

Abroader Perspective

Bundi Bundi Bundi

USA | Sunday, 25 October 2009 | Views [512] | Comments [3]

It's pronounced "Boon-dee," which is fun to say three times in a row.

It's a town a little off the beaten path in Rajasthan (where the beaten path is flogged near to death).  I'm here, and my internet cafe is about to close, so I don't have time for much of an update other than to say I'm safe, and having a ball.  I moved on to Pushkar from Jaipur, which is a crowded little town filled with tourists and religious pilgrims for the over 300 temples around the lake (well, actually, lake bed, given the dry season, and weak monsoons).  It was a fun stop, but not nearly as fun as it will be in a couple of days, when the Camel Fair starts, which brings thousands of Camels and tens of thousands of visitors to this tiny little town of 15,000.  I'm going to try to stop by again when it's in full swing.  Bundi is southwest of Pushkar, and it's biggest claim to fame is that Rudyard Kipling wrote Kim here.  In addition it is one of the most charming and beautiful towns I've been to.  My room is located on the roof of my guest house, and I step out to a view of the palace, and a nearby artificial, rectangular lake, with a temple in the middle.  They light the palace and the temple at night, and the view is breathtaking.  The food is amazing--I had an amazing spinach paneer dish atop a roof in town, and watched the kids in the houses nearby fly kites from their roofs.  It was delightful.  At sunset I took a walk up to the now-overgrown fort, where tourists and monkeys squared off for prime sunset real-estate.  It was a veritable simian city up there, so the tourists all scrounged up the areas not taken over, and were treated to a beautiful sunset--no rain, and bad smog make for the most brilliant, red orb you've ever seen.  In fact it never even reaches the horizon because it disappears behind the thick haze a degree or two before it goes down.


Sorry, that's it.  I'll try to make a fuller post sooner than I have been doing so recently.  Tomorrow I rent a bike and scope out the surrounding area on a pair of wheels.

Much love,

Dave

Comments

1

Amazing pictures! It's exciting to be able to follow your travels.

See you when you're back in the good old NW....

Leora

  Leora Oct 26, 2009 5:18 AM

2

buy a camel for me..i'll pay the shipping costs and we can use it to take gear into monte cristo!
PS Roger mcguinn was terrific..what versatility on the guitars..good dinner with your dad and great concert

  David Oct 26, 2009 2:04 PM

3

Oh my goodness, Dave, I'm so jealous of your travels!! I just got caught up and read all of the blogs and looked through all of the amazing pictures! Everything makes me want to hop on a plane and fly out there to see it all with you and Mon. You guys are so brave, I would love to do all of the things that you are doing, but I would be too nervous to do them alone not knowing the language or exactly where I was! The prayer service that you attended sounds like it was great experience and I really liked your description of it! The camel festival sounds like a really fun, interesting thing, and I second David's post about buying a camel, I would love one, as well. From the one time that I was in Monte Cristo for cousin camp, I'd have to agree that a camel would be good for carrying gear in! I love that in one of the photos you have a stick for beating away the monkeys, are they really that bad that you need a stick to ward them off?
I can't wait to hear more updates from you and hopefully some more pictures! I am thinking of you over there and missing you, cuz!
Love, Sara

  Sara Oct 26, 2009 3:23 PM

About blancharddb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.