Existing Member?

Abroader Perspective

Jaipur

INDIA | Monday, 19 October 2009 | Views [722] | Comments [11]

Well sorry for the break.  We've been trying to update, but have focused mainly on getting our pictures up, which is maddening and inevitably unsuccessful, and takes up enough time that we don't feel like writing any update.  The system seems to be working great here, though, so I went WILD!

First update, I suppose is that that "we" is no longer "we," but just "I."  Mon left to Kathmandu to join up with James and get some Everest-area trekking in, so if you're looking for updates on that front, she's moved back to her old blog.  Of course, it is Everest-area, so I don't imagine updates will be too frequent.

As for me, I'm in Jaipur, Rajasthan--a place I was mostly familiar with as J-Var's study abroad location (Whitman friend and roomie, for those who don't know).  I was kind of expecting Delhi II, but arrived to find a much more easy-going, clean, and all-around less chaotic destination--a welcome change.  Most of the city's draw seems to lie in its plentiful bazaars, each with a specific focus--textiles, perfumes, bangles, gold and silver smithing, etc.  However, not being much of a shopper, I've spent my time with the less commercial touristy sights: palaces, gardens, restaraunts, and the like.  So far the highlight is the incredibly bizarre and beautiful astronomer's garden of Jantar Mantar.  See the photos if you're interested.  It's basically the playground of a brilliant Jaipur-ian astronomer/ologer, replete with astounding, enormous instruments for measuring and tracing the movement of the heavenly bodies.  Everything is made of unusual angles and curves, but given their purpose of mirroring the planets and suns, they also come out surprisingly natural.  It was a delight to walk around such a surreal landscape and hear about the different purposes of the instruments.

The other recent highlight (since with over a week missing, highlights are the only update I can give) was the Thiksey Gompa (monastery), in Ladakh, which Mon and I were lucky enough to stumble upon.  It is a monastery complex situated on a hillside (as they all are in Ladakh--see the pictures to get an idea, but we don't have any actual pictures of Thiksey available to upload--this blog doesn't like the size of pictures of Mon's camera, which was the only one we brought).  Temples, a dining hall, a school, and all of the monk's living quarters (at high season there are over 100 monks) are perched on the hill, painted in lovely blues, reds, and yellows, and visible from great distances.  We wandered around the place in the afternoon when we got there, and ran into a delightful monk named Taiga who invited us to puja (morning prayer) the next day.  We accepted and awoke the next morning attempting to put ourselves in a very quiet, introspective mood, appropriate to meditation.  When we arrived in the temple, the sun was just rising over the mountains into the clear blue sky, and not a whisper was spoke by the few monks and visitors then gathered in the prayer hall.  Soon the bell was rang for the rest of the monks to come, and they began to gather outside the hall, some contemplatively looking out towards the mountains, some coming inside.  However, this gompa houses a school for young monks, and of about 35 monks presently at the gompa, about 20 or so are between the ages of 8 and 12, I'd say.  And when these monks began to gather, they started horsing around a bit--pushing each other and laughing.  I assumed this was just letting off a little steam before having to sit and concentrate, but was further surprised when they began their morning shout/chant--a wonderful, cheerful collective yell that they continued as everyone entered the prayer hall.

Here, the elder monks sat--and were largely immobile the whole time, other than swaying and eating--and began a low, steady chant, not at all in sync with another--each went at his own tempo--but nevertheless a collective mantra.  The boys, on the other hand sat, only to keep up their pushing and shoving, and every so often would get up and rush around the temple.  Rather than being distracting, though, it was perfectly in keeping with the ecstatic style of the meditation.  During the puja, eager, swift young monks served breakfast (bread and salt-butter tea--the most repulsive drink I have ever had: basically exactly what it sounds like: salt and melted butter), and elder monks would occasionally start to play music with english-horn-like double reeded instruments, low brass horns, large drums suspended between ceiling and ground, and tambourines.  It was not melodic, merely rhythmic to accompany the chant.  This chaos was not at all like what we expected--and just about the opposite of my previous monastery experience at a Zen monastery on Whidbey Island for a week.  But it was also at its heart a very simple practice--celebratory, clarifying, and communal.  I can't truly convey the joy and power of it on this blog--writing about it is not an easy task, particularly in the proof-less, quick-entry manner of this blog, but, as I say, it's not really so complex a event.  It was a pure kind of ecstasy, that we were honored to have been present for, and it is something we'll keep with us forever.

Not sure where to next (somewhere in Rajasthan--which is my territory for the next three weeks before meeting back up with Mon and the gang for the Annapurna Circuit), but I'll update when I can.

Dave

Comments

1

Glad you like Jaipur -- where are you staying? And where were you for Diwali??! How was it?

  jvar Oct 20, 2009 5:48 AM

2

Hi, thanks for the pics-they are beautiful Dave. Do you have a picture of Taiga we can see when you are home?
What a wonderful experience. The quest for knowledge and spirituality is so universal. I appreciate your taking the time to write!! Love,Mom

  Mom Oct 20, 2009 9:23 AM

3

I'm staying at a the Evergreen Guest House--kind of shabby rooms with awful fluorescent lights, but a nice open courtyard with palm trees and a good cheapo restaurant and a good nice one too. We spent Diwali locked up in a hotel in Delhi. We had just got back from Leh, and were exhausted, and had planned to spend the day vegging in our room, not really realizing what a "thing" Diwali was. We made sure to get a room with a TV--wanting some news and R&R, but the only American programing was a bad movie channel and a "Desperate Housewives" marathon--so we're now experts at the life of the women of Wisteria Lane, of Vin Diesel and Paul whatshisface's complex relationship in "The Fast and the Furious," of the nature of 4th dimensional aliens as studied in the field by an adventuresome archeology professor, and, of course, of just how much gunpowder can be used up in a city in a single day without burning the whole place to the ground. Even hearing it from inside and viewing it out of the windows it was absolutely insane (I swear they were letting off M80s inside our hotel), but we just didn't have the energy (or courage) to witness it from the street.

Oh...and I did see my first sinister monkey gang in Jaipur, and you're right Jill, they're pretty freaky.

  blancharddb Oct 20, 2009 3:16 PM

4

Aww, yeah, Diwali is one of biggest events of the entire Indian year (their Christmas/new years) -- that just means you have to come back to india to do it properly. Was it the STARS channel!? I remember spending a day in Jodhpur watching desperate housewives/old movies/random TV shows that I think were canceled in the US when we were stuck in the hotel for a day (long story). At least Evergreen is near MI Road (the main street) right? And the Raj Mandir (movie theater)! Stay away from the monkeys - they will eat you. Seriously.

  jvar Oct 21, 2009 4:28 AM

5

Dave, are you playing guitar? reading good books? Is the food different in the different cities and towns? I was impressed with the garden in Leh and was wondering if those veggies were used in the meals you ate.

The news here is focused on healthcare, public option seems to be gaining momentum, Afganistan, Pakistan and the Seattle Mayoral race, which has two very inexperienced candidates.

"Where the Wild Things" is getting good reviews, but we haven't seen it, hopefully it will still be in theaters when you and Monica are home. Maybe it will be showing at the Raj Mandir. Have a great day! Love,Mom

  Mom Oct 21, 2009 9:47 AM

6

Sorry, the monk's name was Tashi, not Taiga. I always associate that name with the kid of Mon's bosses, and I god confused of which kid it was. EVERYONE in Leh is named Tashi. Anyway, yes Mon has a photo of him.

And it WAS the STARS channel, Jill. And, yes, everyone SAYS it's like christmas, but I don't care what they say, Christmas doesn't come muggy at 90 degrees and tons of fireworks. I hold that it's their Forth of July, and I stand by it.

And, Mom, again, I am playing guitar, though my strings are five years old at this point (since I never use it except when traveling, I never changed the strings), which means it gets out of tune every three minutes, so I need to find some guitar strings SOMEWHERE in India. I'm reading great books--Stephen Jay Gould kept me occupied for the first few weeks, and I recently found 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at a hostel, which I'm loving, but right now an incredibly horrifying but also very humane account of a Sudanese refugee taken down by Dave Eggers called "What is the What" is consuming me. Keeping me up at nights reading it, and not being able to sleep because of it.

Boy you two keep me busy when I check my mail,
Dave

  Dave Oct 21, 2009 10:12 PM

7

Hey Dave, What a great trip. Thanks for your wonderful description of the morning prayer you and Mon were invited to. It seems that sometimes experiences are more memorable when they surprise us. I love the pics of the huge sundials. They bring to mind Stonehenge. Do you suppose anyone will know in 1000 years what they were? I am glad you got the pics up. I am amazed by what appears to be a contrast between the barren hills and the lush valleys. When I think of India I imagine jungles (Jungle Book). Keep up the blogs when you can. We are there too, vicariously, Love, Gretchen

  Gretchen Oct 21, 2009 11:29 PM

8

Gretchen, it's so good to hear from you! I hope you're feeling 100% or close to it. Yeah, India is definitely an incredibly diverse place--some place you can't even scratch the surface of in three months. Right now I'm in hot desert, in contrast to the chilly mountains Mon and I were in. And the jungle is right next door. I'm actually thinking about going to a place in the next couple days where Kipling lived and wrote, so I imagine it will have a little more of a Jungle Book flavor. I'm glad to know you're reading this; you've been in my thoughts.

Okay, so the reason I'm back so soon is, I hope, an overreaction, but as I was eating a delicious dinner here in Pushkar at a rooftop restaurant on a warm evening with a beautiful moon, I realized my last post could be entirely counter-productive to the biggest point of this blog--keeping my Mom sane. I just want to clarify, for her, and for any other worriers, as tone of voice is sometimes hard for me to get across in writing, that I am NOT really losing sleep from being depressed for refugees in Sudan. It is not, in any way, hampering my enjoyment of the wonderful place I'm in, nor causing any long- or short-term psychological damage to any degree.

As I say, I hope that was unnecessary, but now I won't lose sleep thinking Mom's losing sleep because she thinks I'm losing sleep. Sorry for the spectators. I'll have a real post sometime, but I'll be off tomorrow exploring some of the 300-odd temples around this holy Hindu "lake" (not really during the dry season), and watching thousands of camel-eers arrive for the spectacular Camel Fair starting here soon

Love you all, and dreaming sweet dreams (sugar plums, et al)

Dave

  Dave Oct 22, 2009 12:52 AM

9

Dave, now I am going to loose sleep becuase you are loosing sleep thinking I am loosing sleep, so I think I'll take a nap and dream of camels, monkeys, Jules Vern, Indian Food, Gretchen's neck and arms, Sudanese, temples, deserts,jungles and lion and tigers and the beauty of you being in India with a guitar, albeit in need of new strings,and the options to travel to temples or jungles or a desert by camel. Life is good. M

  Mom Oct 22, 2009 6:03 AM

10

Which rooftop restaurant? (I felt like I tried them all) What do you think of Pushkar? Please tell me your at Bharatpur Palace. And when you go back to Ajmer (to train off somewhere) do go to the mosque -- the streets walking up to it are super cool (I love all the religious trinket shops selling bags of that horrible white sugar crystal candy stuff leading up to mosques). If not Ajmer - go to at least one super active mosque while you are there - very different feeling than hindu/Buddhist temples, especially at night (there are some in delhi that are super amazing at night). Oh, and you can get a public bus to Amjer for less than a dollar (insanely cheap as I recall) - ask how to get to the bus station. Packed like a sardine, but 'authentic' way to travel and much cheaper than hiring a taxi. Are you staying for the camel fair? Wow, that was unorganized.

  jvar Oct 22, 2009 8:57 AM

11

Great posts..half tempted to jump a plane to come meet you..reading your blog makes me realize how big India and the world) is and how much more there is to see and experience..keep posting..guitar strings..i remember a fruitless search for same in cambodia once..well there is always the sitar..was to pickle it up with your dad tonite but going to a party for my friend larkin with whom I was in bolivia..anyway your dad and I are going to the roger mcguinn concert tomorrow night..did i say keep posting?

  David Oct 24, 2009 11:11 AM

About blancharddb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.