Existing Member?

Grove on tour- last man standing

where, who, what

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 11 June 2007 | Views [711]

I thought it might be of interest to see where Im working, living and who Im knocking about with so I have uploaded some photos with this in mind (see Byron05 album).

This is the team sheet, in no particular order.

Thibault is a Frenchie from Tolouse who used to drive for the YHA but has moved out here to the more dignified Belongil Beachouse. We are constantly winding him up about being a bit of a Don Juan and a celebrity about town, but he is one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met, an excellent surfer and needs only say “‘ot chocolate” in his French accent to make the girls blush! He is also a dead ringer for Captain Haddock and has the pleasure of sleeping in the bunk above me!

Christophe is the class joker. A hilarious Belgian who always has everyone laughing (if nothing else because of his uncanny resemblance to Shrek). If all Belgians are like Chris then the country might be worth a visit after all! Chris will talk to anyone and really makes people feel welcome. He has also stolen Ian and never stops talking about his ‘new best mate’ (they spent so much time fishing at night together that people definitely began to talk) The three of us share a room together (with our sometime roommate Ian (due to return for a third stay at the end of the month). There is no shortage of practical jokes: being locked on the balcony, clingfilmed to your bed while sleeping, or having your monrning OJ mysteriously spiked with Tabasco and our room doubles as the communual cinema/ sleepover room!

Gabriel, another Frenchie. As passionate about coffee as he is about his girlfriend Mel (see below). Hes great fun and his ankle swinging judo pants never cease to make me chuckle! He apparently speaks French with a heavy Australian accent. Kate, the only other English person I’ve spent any time with out here. She is possibly as funny as Chris (and would have no doubt herself).

Kate is somewhat of a genuine celebrity round these parts, having lived here for 8months and she is as honest about her need for attention and affection as she is demanding of it (in a nice way). She is an honorary member of our room, often brushing her teeth as a thinly disguised attempt to get into bed with Thibault… he drives for the YHA!!! She has just corrected me, and its true that she never thinly disuises anything.

Mel, an Aussie from Melbourne. Mellicity Shagwell has a character as fiery as her red hair and is an accomplished comedien. Everyone calls her The Nana and we are all under no doubt that she is the boss!! \

Paula, the latest bgirl to come out of Ireland and Ians breakdancing padouan learner! Paula's awesome fun, and Ian, myself and her made quite an impression on the dance floors of Byron (even if my only contribution was sheer shock that one man can sweat so profusely for such a sustained period without disappearing). She is a social butterfly and her banter and company is always something to look forward to after returning from work.

Lil, the baby (in age alone) of the group and if Paula is the stereotypical Irish lass then Lil is her Aussie equivalent. As direct as an intercity link, as honest and genuine as a vicar and with a range of profanities to make any churchman blush. Her Chris and Ian seem capable of talking about fishing for EVER and Im convinced this hostel would fall apart without her!

Jen, its always the quiet ones you have to watch out for and Jen is no exception. She’s unusual for a Canadian in that I have yet to see any evidence that she owns a Maple Leaf of any description. Jen recently decided to go a week without alcohol, cigarettes or drugs and managed to get from Sunday evening to Monday evening before giving in on all 3accounts! Jen works at a fancy patisserie and if she wasn’t such a good egg she would still be loved for the cakes, pastries and pies she brings hime!!!

Yumico Suzuki (no stage name and she is genuinely cool enough to pull of such a name) is a Japanese hotty who we have renamed Yummy. Yummy is officially the smallest person to own a Volvo estate and she has the coolest wardrobe in Byron. She makes everyone here giggle at her hilarious eccentricities and she also refuses to surf any other beach than Wattegos! Trying to work out her age is a popular topic of conversation amongst the boys.

Myerion, hales from Wales and is the latest addition to our room (the number of which is a closely guarded secret and has been taken off of all maps of the hostel). His wit is sharper than an unripe lemon and definitely too low flying for the European members of our team. My (as no one can pronounce Myerion to his satisfaction, we all call him My) is actually old school Belongil and has been conducting an annual pilgrimage here for 7 years now.

Ian, from the ghettos of Surry. Most of you know him, he’s a loser!

The Beach House is kinda hard to describe. I guess your impression of any hostel is coloured by the people who are staying there but Myerion assures me that every year he’s been here there’s been a good crew around. I guess the hostel must have a very definite character of its own that attracts certain people.

It’s a scruffy collection of buildings that basically comprise of two large quads around peaceful courtyards. Our courtyard is bigger and more open with a large covered bbq area, benches, hammocks and a couple of pagodas.

‘Outback” is a more secluded jungle like space with a dense canopy of palm trees and a small stream.

There’s a huge kitchen on a mezzanine level above a large open plan communal lounge. It kinda makes me think of an old peoples home for twenty something beach bums and although theres plenty of coming and going, most of us have fallen in love with the place and ended up staying for months. Its far enough out of town to be quieter than the party hostels in Byron itself but is still only a 20 minute walk along the beach to get to “the city”.

Us residents spend most of our time in the kitchen, on the balcony, or on the beach (about 100m away).

No description of the Beachhouse would be complete without a mention of Tom and Roz, the managers who run this place. To say they are ruthlessly efficient would be a lie but they have successfully created the kind of hostel populated by the kind of people that suits them. If they like you then you’re in, if not then you will be kicked out with little ceremony.

Tom is a big kid and always playing practical jokes on everyone around him (as well as being the victim of a fair few) while Roz is definitely the boss!

The place and my lifestyle out here has made me think about how entirely feasible communal living is. Its so efficient: we’ve effectively got a car pool, group cooking and eating is great fun and saves costs and its much more ecologically sound than having an individual flat or house. Its also incredibly sociable and with the addition of my own room I would be perfectly content to live like this long term.

Im working at a place called the Beach Hotel, a large brasserie style restaurant attached to Byron  hottest drinkery. We serve everything from nachos and wedges to Rabbit Pie and Grilled Snapper and although it is getting pretty quiet durring the week we get slammed at the weekends. After my recent promotion Im on mains section, running the evening shifts and cooking Steaks, Fish and Pasta dishes and organising the other sections. It gets pretty stressfull when were busy but Im absolutely loving it and cant quite beleive that with so little experience Im being left in charge... the fools!!!

You've probably guessed that I’m pretty happy! I hope everyone reading this is too and I look forward to catching up with as many folk as possible this summer (my second in a row... not wanting to rub it in too much)!

More soon, Love Bennoir!

Tags: People

About bjw_uk


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.