Existing Member?

Feisty Adventures! Here's to a life of exploration!

Some Misadventures

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 23 May 2007 | Views [1015]

Not everything can go smoothly, right?  :)

The weather has been beautiful, the people have been so kind to me and the food is amazing.  Everything has been great, including the `little problems` (as Michelle and I have come to call them) that crop up every now and again.  There is a huge language barrier to overcome, so I have gotten myself into a few tight spots.  And then there are just the usual misadventures that life throws your way.

I have been getting used to riding with Michelle on her motorcycle -- a brand new experience for me.  Aparantly though, I get initiation by fire.  I`ve been doing okay just managing to hang on as we weave through rushing traffic and trying to avoid the `motoboys` as they are called here -- guys on motorcycles who are basically kamikazee.  I´ve never seen such reckless driving in my life. 

Well, the other night, Michelle and I had to drive home in the pouring rain.  She offered for us to take the bus, but I was worried about her leaving her bike overnight at the gym.  With a shrug, she handed me an umbrella and suggested I hold it over the two of us while she drove us home.  I asked if she had ever tried it before.  She said no, but it should work okay.  I`m learning to think twice about taking Michelle´s suggestions. 

So, we started out okay, down the side roads and little cobble-stone streets.  I was managing to hold onto her and also keep the umbrella carefully over the both of us without dripping any water on her lap.  But then we hit the highway, and I´m sure you can imagine what we must have looked like, with the rain splashing our helmets and me desperately trying to hold onto the umbrella which had flown backwards over my shoulder and flipped inside-out.  Michelle looked back when the rain started to soak her, and burst out laughing.  To make matters worse, every time we hit a puddle, the water sprayed up onto our legs and butts.  We were soaked when we got home and still laughing hysterically.

So, that was just one of my misadventures lately.  Needless to say that when I took a hot shower that night to warm up, I locked myself in the bathroom and had to knock from the inside for Michelle to help me out.  And then, Michelle had to wake up her mom so she could pick the lock with a screwdriver.     

 

Tags: Misadventures

About bjjgirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.