Existing Member?

Feisty Adventures! Here's to a life of exploration!

Day 5

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 8 May 2007 | Views [6361] | Comments [2]

Michelle and Loro

Michelle and Loro

It is day 5 of my trip and I have finally figured out how to post photos, so I will try to upload some shortly. 

I am staying in Itu with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blackbelt, Michelle Nicolini, and her family.  Michelle teaches and trains BJJ at Robert Drysdale`s club, Equilibrium, in Itu, and also at the larger club in Sao Paulo city.  She has a commanding presence in both clubs; it is obvious how much her students and training partners respect her.  She is also incredibly friendly and enjoys just hanging out with friends in BJJ.

Itu is a town, similar in size to New Minas and Kentville combined from what I have seen so far.  Houses and buildings in general here have an open structure.  Parts of buildings have open ceilings to let the breeze float through.  Many buildings have 3 walls with one wall that can open and close, like a garage. 

Sao Paulo is huge.  It is similar to large cities like Toronto, but different in many ways.  There are many favelas, or slums, here.  Michelle and I have been discussing the huge gap between the rich and the poor which is evident in both Canada and Brazil. 

Michelle´s father, Edson, is a Carpenter in Itu.  He is a friendly, happy-looking man, who works very hard.  Mira is Michelle`s mother, and she works very hard at home to keep her house in order and her children and grandchildren well fed.  She is a wonderful cook. 

Michelle has 2 sisters.  Eliza is the eldest sister and is married with 2 girls, Isabella and Gyovana.  Michelle is the second daughter and Jacqueline is the youngest; they live at home with Edson and Mira.

The family has a beautiful home in the busier part of Itu.  Every morning I am woken by the sounds of birds and their 2 daschounds, Tibor and Dara.  Loro is Michelle`s parrot; he is very strong-willed and intelligent.  He also loves to play and sleeps close to people.  Michelle`s family also has an incredible farm in the quiet part of Itu.  Edson is hoping to build a house there one day.  It has a swimming pool and many trees, including bananas, mangoes and a Brazilian type of green fruit which tastes like an orange.  I will post pictures soon.

 

Tags: People

Comments

1

Babs,
Your trip sounds amazing, I love reading your updates and seeing your pictures. It gives me a small sense of being there with you. You sound like you are having the time of your life. I miss you!!!
Kristen

  Kristen Corkum May 10, 2007 1:05 AM

2

Fuck Robert Drysdale.

  Elbow Jun 29, 2013 2:31 PM

About bjjgirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.