Existing Member?

Feisty Adventures! Here's to a life of exploration!

New Friend

CANADA | Sunday, 22 April 2007 | Views [958]

Me and Fernanda

Me and Fernanda

I met Fernanda this afteroon; up until now we have only spoken over the phone, through email and on msn.  She is a very sweet person.  After a warm hug, we had a good visit. 

Fernanda is from Rio de Janeiro.  She married a Nova Scotian named Terry and they live in Kingston now.  Her children are still in Brazil, and I can tell she misses them quite a bit.  If I stay in Rio for a while, Fernanda said she will give me their contact info so I can say hello.

We talked about Portuguese and she explained the uses of accents in the language.  I'm happy to know French -- I can see the similarities between the two.  I know a couple more words now, like "carro" (car), pronounced caho, and "caro" (expensive), pronounced caro.  Certain letters are pronounced differently depending on if they fall at the beginning of a word or not.  The letter R is a rolled English R only if it falls in the middle of a word.  At the beginning, or when doubled, it has an English H sound.  As I've said before, I've got a lot to learn.

It will be nice to have someone from home to coach me a bit if I run into any problems in Brazil.  I will keep in contact with her throughout my trip and meet up with her again when I get home. 

Thanks so much, Fernanda, for your help and advice this far!

Tags: The Planning Phase

About bjjgirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.