Existing Member?

BHS Vietnam Trip 2016

Day 8 - Goodbye

VIETNAM | Thursday, 31 March 2016 | Views [456] | Comments [1]

Day 8

Today was our last few hours on the project which was bitter sweet. Once we reached the worksite after breakfast and getting ourselves together for the day, we started organizing the bricks, sand, and the rocks in different groups. Once we got into the swing of things, we worked as hard as we could and pulled together to get as much done as possible since it was our last day. Throughout the morning we were treated with traditional fruits, drinks, presents from the family and also we talked with the villagers. There was a lot of smiles, laughs, hugs and kisses- it was so sweet.

As a group, we are very proud of our progress on the house. We built the foundation by bending wires and connecting them together. We mixed cement and built up the wall of bricks which helped show progress on the project. Our teamwork helped us all cooperate swiftly and move faster with each other. The teachers worked as hard as always to help us get the jobs done.

Then came the goodbyes that we all dreaded. The mother of the family thanked us after we gave them house warming gifts such as a fan and a crock pot and also for our work we’d done throughout the past 5 days. We took many pictures with the villagers and the family and even shed some tears, even Mr. Nicholls! Many of us gave gifts and clothes to the family as they were appreciative of everything they were given.

After showering and a bit of relaxation we took a boat ride to an island to go eat lunch at a local restaurant and make local cuisine. Not many of us were fond of the meal but it’s still good to try new things. After laying out on the hammocks and taking lots of pictures we met back at the restaurant for cooking. After flying kites once again we relaxed on the hammocks, and then took the boat back to the hotel. From there we didn’t do too much as we had a tiring day and got some much needed rest.

Around 7pm we made our way to a different local restaurant across from the hotel. Getting here we came across an extravagant set up with great food, and after dinner we sang karaoke. Which was difficult for us to write this blog because they were singing terribly and it was pretty cringe worthy. Overall today was full of compassion, laughter, and tears (Mr. Nicholls), it was a great last full day in Vinh Long.

Jessie P and Olivia T

Comments

1

Sounds like an amazing experience, and I'm so proud knowing that you are all open to learning new things. Well done!

  Erica Apr 1, 2016 12:49 AM

About bhs_vietnam


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.