Existing Member?

Somewhere Out There

Change of Planz

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 27 October 2010 | Views [427]

Sometimes it's best to be still and take in your surroundings, and other times, you need to charge forward headfirst. I spoke to Liz, my dear friend in Sydney, and after talking with her for about 14 seconds, I realized how much I wanted to be with one of my people - my friend! So....I checked with the airline, my travel agent, and of course Liz, and changed my flight to show up a few days early. It took a few phone calls, but in the end it wasn't terribly expensive or difficult. Which brings me to the realization that today is my last full day and night in New Zealand. I've really enjoyed myself here, and the natural beauty is stunning. But there's no place like home - by which I mean, this place isn't pulling at my heart strings. A lot of travelers I met talk about going to a certain country, region or place, and knowing that they would find a way to come back, work there, or spend more time there. I hope to have that feeling on this trip, but it didn't happen in New Zealand. It's a nice place to visit, but so seperate, so tucked away, and not as keyed into world as I would like. Something that I took for granted in NYC, it's diversity and multiculturalism, even it's size, are not to be found in this small island country, where the population is less than that of New York Proper. There is a seperateness that rings true and pure, and I don't wonder that many Kiwis don't venture out; some don't even leave the North or South Island. However, all of these musing are probably tinged with homesickness, and a longing to greet my friend at the airport tomorrow evening. I probably won't realize exactly what New Zealand has meant to me until I'm long gone. I know I won't forget the waterfalls, and I think I'll probably miss the mountains.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.