Existing Member?

Somewhere Out There

Old in the New

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 4 October 2010 | Views [426] | Comments [3]

It seems that knowledge is a powerful thing - and it's funny when it comes in handy in the most unlikely places. The family I'm wwoofing with has a daughter who is trying to launch a in house Chef service, complete with service, multiple menus, and many occasions. She was visiting for dinner last night, started talking about the project and...one thing leads to another, I'll be training her in Front of House service on Wednesday as part of my Wwoofing hours. I thought seat numbers, coffee service and wine pairings were a thing of the past, but how quickly I've been proven wrong. It just goes to show you never to take a skill for granted, you never know when it might save you from shoveling compost. Speaking of shoveling, I spent the better part of the day working on unearthing a septic tank. While this might sound really exciting, (especially because we weren't sure exactly where to start digging), it was actually just really hard work. I am once again impressed by those who make their living through manual labor, and certain that I will not be a permanent member of their ranks. We had a lovely pumpkin soup for dinner, and I made some of my father's famous Bachelor Delights. Both made me think of home. 

Comments

1

we miss you and glad that you are having such a good time! Dad is happy you are sharing his bachelor delights. We sang oats, peas, beans and barley grow with Jude and he said "Beth" during supper. Love your pictures. Had a great time with Jenny and Jake at the Twins game. Lots of Love, Mom and Dad

  M & D Winkels Oct 5, 2010 2:11 AM

2

we miss you and glad that you are having such a good time! Dad is happy you are sharing his bachelor delights. We sang oats, peas, beans and barley grow with Jude and he said "Beth" during supper. Love your pictures. Had a great time with Jenny and Jake at the Twins game. Lots of Love, Mom and Dad

  M & D Winkels Oct 5, 2010 2:11 AM

3

You are amazing! I'm glad your experience in the restaurant world is saving you from compost, at least for awhile :)

The show opens tonight...I was so sick to my stomach with that lovely nervous feeling that only comes when something really big is about to happen.

I miss you, my dear. You are just incredible and your adventure is still just beginning. It seems that every moment is bringing you closer to an ideal that we all hope to achieve.

Clive says "Hi"!

  Leeanne Oct 8, 2010 4:29 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.