Existing Member?

The Grand Adventure that is my life.....

A Canterbury Tale of our own

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 24 September 2012 | Views [233]

Today was another road trip day. Destination: Canterbury Cathedral.

So, this morning we headed out right after breakfast. First we had to make a stop by the grocer (kleenex) and then the bank (cash). Oh, and we also stopped by the Royal Mail office and put some of those postcards we've been buying into the mail. Then we headed for Canterbury. Except a few miles into the drive, we had to turn around and go back to the roundabout (around which you can conveniently drive until you figure out which way you are really supposed to be going) and then head off in the right direction for Canterbury. (However, in the course of our diversion, we did discover the way to Winchelsea, which is another of the Cinque Ports, which is good since one of our (many) missions is to visit each of the seven Cinque Ports... yes, we know... 'cinque' means 'five' in French, but that's a different story.)

The city of Canterbury is about 40 miles and an hour or so of driving away (once the route gets sorted out and all). However, driving near Canterbury is NOT the sort of driving to be done without having had at least some practice in wrong-sided driving. Good thing we'd already gotten that taken care of. The drive to Canterbury took us through the Romney Marsh and the Kent Downs, past sheep and cows and horses and two VERY large pigs, and through some beautiful English countryside. There was also an incredible "tunnel" of trees through which the road ran; the grey, drizzly day and the tree tunnel made for a magical driving experience. However, as noted, the traffic nearer Canterbury was more manic than magic. Actually, it wasn't the traffic; it was the road signs and the roads. Regardless, we made it. Then it was just a matter of finding the Cathedral.

You'd think finding the Cathedral in Canterbury would be pretty simple. Really big church. Famous. Lots of folks making pilgrimage to it. We kind of expected a really clear route.

No.

We found it because we happened to drive by a really large stone wall with crosses placed in it. Then Mom looked up... above traffic... above trees... and saw the spires. We found a car park up alongside the stone wall and then hiked up and around and along the wall until we found Burgate Street. While I'm sure High Street in Canterbury is filled with shops, too, we found pretty much all the shops necessary on Burgate. Were able to buy some more postcards, and some woolen goods at a great sale at the Edinburgh Woolen Mill, and I even bought an umbrella, which came in most handy, given that English weather today lived up to its wet reputation. Then we found the queue to buy tickets to go into the Canterbury Cathedral at about the same time the rain got heavier. Discretion being the smarter part of tourism, we opted for lunch at The Old Buttermarket, which is a pub and restaurant across the square from the cathedral gate.

Yes, we'll tell you about the food again.... I had the best fish and chips I've ever had, with mushy peas, which are also really good. Mom and Dorie both had tomato soup with ciabatta bread. Catch had the Black Pudding Potato Cake. And then for dessert, Mom had the Kentish Bramley Apple Pie with creamy custard sauce. Again, conveniently, I had a spoon, because apple pie is simply an excuse to eat custard sauce. Being kind like I am, I helped Mom eat hers. And it was amazing. Just saying....

Then I trekked back to the car park and put all our purchases from Burgate Street into the car boot while the others got into line to buy our tickets for the Cathedral. When I got back to the cathedral gate, Mom, Catch, and Dorie were already standing inside waiting for me. I joined them and then we headed into the Cathedral.

Canterbury Cathedral is most impressive. MOST impressive. One of the oldest and most famous churches in England, it is home to the Archbishop of Canterbury, the leader of the Church of England and the Anglican faith worldwide. A cathedral has stood on that same site for over 1,400 years, though the building itself was rebuilt in 1070-1077. Sir Thomas a Becket was murdered in the cathedral by knights of King Henry II in December 1170. A candle still burns in a central place of honor to commemorate Becket. Numerous archbishops and royalty are also buried there, including Edward, the Black Prince, King Henry IV, and his wife Joan of Navarre.

There is so much incredible architecture and beauty in that building it's not possible to tell you all about it here. There is also power in that place, and in there -- even with all the other tourists and the many, many German students that were there today and everyone else there for whatever business -- in there, you simply KNOW you are in a sacred place. You can feel it. Maybe it's because of all the prayers offered up in there over the centuries. Or maybe because today throughout the cathedral are prayer candles and somewhat private places to pause and reflect, and many people doing so. And at about 4 pm, a priest spoke quietly over a central PA system, inviting all to stop where they were and join her in a moment of prayer, followed by hundreds of voices quietly reciting The Lord's Prayer together.

There are so many historical elements at Canterbury Cathedral, it takes a moment to remember... it's a church. A really big, beautiful one with the most amazing stained glass windows and memorials to so many people, but a church nonetheless.

So... I think anything else about Canterbury Cathedral may need to wait until the photos are ready to add to this journal, or at least until tomorrow when we've all had a chance to digest the experience a bit more.

Till then.....

About bethhhp


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.