Existing Member?

Heading West

Family Kickball

USA | Sunday, 15 August 2010 | Views [403] | Comments [1]

family kickball

family kickball

I am laughing as I write this. The memory of my sisters playing kickball is an endless source of amusement to me and other members of my family. My excuse for not playing was improper footwear-flip flops don't cut it-and an improper foundation garment. Both of these situations could have been remedied easily but I really just didn't want to and those excuses were as good as any.

The first game was made up of anyone from the YMCA who wanted to play. Our team was at a distinct disadvantage as it had both Austin age 4, and Noah age 5. Since neither had ever played it did not look good. We pinned our hopes on the powerhouse St. John sisters to even things out. How young and foolish we were.

Our first inkling of trouble came when Leah came into possession of the ball. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but the ball rolled out of her hands and then she proceeded to fall onto the ground. We in the stands were howling with laughter but the best part was yet to come.

Picture MRB as Rosie O'Donnell in A League of Their Own-minus about a hundred pounds. Mostly picture the skirt and tennis shoe action. I have a picture of this but she has forbidden me to post it. Although I could totally take her, I won't post without permission.

So, she has on a skirt and tennis shoes, the ball is rolling her way in the outfield and she reaches down to get it, trips on it, rolls over it, and lands on her back with her skirt up around her waist! We are momentarily stunned in the stands. Then, mom and I look at each other and absolutely start crying we are laughing so hard. I'm laughing again just thinking of it!

We cap off that game with Noah B running to third instead of first and Colin tagging his own team member with the ball.

Another game is started with just our family and a few interlopers who would come to regret their decision to play. While Colin redeemed himself by beaning Jessica with the ball at first base, Stasia knocked down an 8 year old, stepped on his foot and then stole his lunch money. Well I made up the last part but not the rest.

And so ended another fun family sports outing! 

Comments

1

I don't think that last part is an exaggeration at all. It is exactly as I remember it.

  Justin Aug 15, 2010 2:14 PM

About beth2271

Good Hair!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.